Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PLZ help me, my mom will kill me!

• Please log in to reply

Tru Techie

Tru Techie

• PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
Okay here is the whole story. I installed Linux Suse 10.0, dual booted with windows xp pro. then my mom got pissed cause she always had to switch back, so i had to remove it. i went to novell's website to get the fdisk majigy. i put it on a floppy, booted it and at the command line i typed in fdisk /mbr. and it went fine, then i rebooted the computer, right when it gets to desktop, it restarts, and it does this non-stop. so in advanced boot options i disable automatic restart on system failure, and now i can actually read the BsoD i get before it restarts. and here is exactly what it says

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

The problem seems to be caused by the following file: wpsdrvnt.sys

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. if this screen appears again, follow these steps:

check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. if this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

if problems continue, disable or remove any newly instaled hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching and shadowing. if you need to use safe mode to remove or diable components, restart your computer, press f8 to select advanced startup options, and then select safe mode.

Technical Information:
***STOP: 0x00000050 (0xFFBDE414, 0x00000000, 0xF4078397, 0x00000000)

*** wpsdrvnt.sys - Address F4078397 base at F4075000, DateStamp 41195fe9

Beginning memory dump........

alright, i tried going to safe mode and it reboots anywayz.

after doing some research i figured out that the wpsdrvnt.sys file belongs to sygate firewall, which i have, and which was running fine until i tried to remove GRUB. I havent installed any new hardware or software at all, just the new hard drive, which was working fine until i tried to remove GRUB.

Plz help me, my moms work files are on this computer and she needs them today.

oh btw, when i tried to put in the Xp cd to boot from it and try a Automated System Recovery, it wouldnt boot from the CD, is there any specific F key im supposed to press to force it to start from CD, btw this computer is an Old P3 Dell about 5 years old.

GREATLY APPRECIATED UR HELP!

Edited by Tru Techie, 19 June 2006 - 08:33 AM.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
ASR is not what you think it is....ignore it. That is for restoring system state information if you had previously run a backup

You could run a repair installation
http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

What I would do first, however, is use the recovery console to rename wpsdrvnt.sys to wpsdrvnt.bak (you will find it in c:\windows\system\drivers) and then reboot.

If that works, reinstall sygate

Tru Techie

Tru Techie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
how would i go about getting to the recovery console, this is the first time i would ever half to do something like this on ms-dos or the bios, im more familiar with software itself not the actual computer. and if i do the repair install would all my software stay on the computer?btw i dont get the press any key to boot from cd message.

Edited by Tru Techie, 19 June 2006 - 08:43 AM.

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
You can use the FIXMBR command in the Repair Console, if you have a restore, recovery, or XP CD.

Restoring the MBR

You must repair the MBR if it becomes corrupted and you can no longer access any volumes on that disk. You can use several tools to repair the MBR. Which tool you choose depends on whether the partition table is also damaged and whether you can start Windows XP Professional.

Use the Recovery Console.

You can use the fixmbr command in Recovery Console to repair the MBR. You can start Recovery Console by booting from the Windows XP Professional operating system CD; so this troubleshooting method is available even if Windows XP Professional does not start in normal or safe mode. However, you cannot use Recovery Console to repair partition tables that were damaged by viruses or other corruption.

Use DiskProbe.

You can use DiskProbe to restore both the MBR and the partition table, but you must have previously backed up this information by using DiskProbe, and you must be able to start Windows XP Professional.

Use a third-party disk editor.

You can use a third-party MS-DOS–based, low-level disk editor to repair the partition table if Windows XP Professional does not start. This method is for experienced users only and involves manually editing the partition table.

This is listed about have way down the list, "Restoring the MBR'.

http://www.microsoft.../c28621675.mspx

Edited by acklan, 19 June 2006 - 11:05 AM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
aklan, this is no longer an mbr issue. This is a faulty driver issue

When you start the pc with the recovery console by choosing R after booting with the XP cd, you will find yourself looking at the following

c:\windows>

type
cd system
<enter>
cd drivers
<enter>
rename wpsdrvnt.sys wpsdrvnt.bak
<enter>

now reboot

Tru Techie

Tru Techie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
but i dont get the message Press any key to boot from CD...
gerryf btw, i love the lil title under ur image, its hilarious!

Edited by Tru Techie, 19 June 2006 - 08:49 AM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Heres how to start the recovery console.

http://support.micro....com/kb/314058/

A easier explanation is here.

http://www.theelderg...ery_console.htm

SRX660

Tru Techie

Tru Techie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
thanx but i cant do any of that, seeing as how the computer WONT stay on, it just restarts. and when i try booting from the cd i dont get the message press any key to boot from CD...

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
is this a windows xp cd or perhaps a system recovery cd?

Tru Techie

Tru Techie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
windows xp. i've booted from it last night, but after this error it doesnt boot from the disk.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
And you are certain that your bios boot order is set up as cd-rom first?

Where did the disk come from? OEM? REtail?

Tru Techie

Tru Techie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
k ill set it up as first, cause first was floppy and cd was 4th. lets see what happens.
and the disk came from a tech that tried to fix our computer a while back and failed so he gave us xp.
nope it doesnt work, i changed it to boot cd first and i still dont get the message, even though i did yesterday.

Edited by Tru Techie, 19 June 2006 - 09:26 AM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Step 1

download RC.iso from the following link:

http://www.thecomput...edic.com/rc.iso

You need to burn this image to a CD and boot your computer with it--this is different than burning a file to a CD. If you do not know how to burn an ISO image, then download the following program to another Windows XP machine, install it.

make certain you download the proper installation for your version of windows. Open MY COMPUTER, choose HELP > ABOUT. Note the service pack and get the appropriate version of the iso burner power toy

http://isorecorder.a...isorecorder.htm

After installation, reboot, then right click the RC.iso file you downloaded above and choose COPY IMAGE TO CD.

Then reboot your broken PC with that CD in the CD-ROM drive.

This will give you a recovery console to use to run

Insert the cd into the non-functioning PC

STEP 2

When boot begins, a windows setup will appear to start, but you will be taken to a recovery console.

You will need to select your windows installation by pressing a number, most likely 1

Windows will ask you for a password

If you have XP home, press enter...there is no password

If you have XP Pro, you need to enter the password you set when you installed your machine with XP Pro.

After entering the password, you will find yourself at a command prompt that looks like this

c:\windows

follow the instructions from above

Tru Techie

Tru Techie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
k i can do all of this but there is one problem, i dont know my password. i went to users on control panel and the user i was logged onto was set as Computer Administrator, and i never had a password, so i set a password. then (this was yesterday when i was trying to remove grub) i typed in 1 for the partition, then when i typed in the password it said it was wrong, i checked for caps lock and everything, but no good. what can i do to fix this?

Edited by Tru Techie, 19 June 2006 - 10:34 AM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
xp home or pro?

The user you logged into was not THE admin account, it was AN admin account

Like Linux, Windows has a special ADMINISTRATOR account that is seperate from accounts that have administrator status. The ADMINISTRATOR account password was set up when Windows was setup

If it is was XP Pro, whoever set Windows up should know it. If it is XP HOME, leave the password blank and hit ENTER as XP Home's default password is blank