Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Moving Data

• Please log in to reply

seedless

seedless

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
Hey guys good morning or good afternone I was wondering if someone could give me sum advice on how to move all data off a hard drive that has windows on it and moveing it into a new one.
Now I would do it manually, but the problem is that the computer the hard drive goes with crashed it’s a old comp so I don’t rely mind for fixing it. I jest got me a new one from fry’s. The hard drive that I removed from my old computer was not old it’s a WD 80 gig, now I was thinking of using a live CD so I can recover my data off the hard drive when I install it on my new Comp, I don’t know if that would work if anyone has sum better advice I would greatly appreciate it.

Edited by seedless, 19 June 2006 - 09:17 AM.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Why not put the old drive in the new system as a slave and see if you can recover it that way? Am I missing something?

seedless

seedless

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
hey Gerryf why couldint i jest boot into the hard that has the os on it would it not work with the new system?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
No...if I understand your qyestion---if the old system was win2000 or xp, because the hardware abstraction later would be different, causing a major meltdown

Windows 98 might start and try to install the required drivers

It is far better to just drop the old drive in the new system as a slave and then copy the files over

seedless

seedless

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
The os is windows xp and the new system i have dose not have windows on the hard drive so is there no way to completely move my old os and data onto the new one or do i have to install a fresh copy of Xp on the new hard drive and then move my old data from my WD 80 to my new comp?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
You have no OS on the new computer?

Well, you can...sometimes.

To move your old hardrive with OS intact, you can install the old drive on the new system, and the VERY first time, run a windows repair, as outline here:

http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

The repair must be run the FIRST time that windows tries to boot---if you try a repair after the first time windows tries to boot, it will not work because the system corruption will be too great.

Even if you try it the first time, this only works sometimes, it seems.