Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Worth Getting an upgrade?

• Please log in to reply

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
Hey guys, been out the loop for a while.

Am i worth getting an upgrade at the moment?

Athlon XP 3200+

1.5GB DDR 400

80GB
160GB Western Digital caviar drives

X850XT AGP

Just fixed the power supply after it went a bit wierd. CSS and HL2 run beautifully, and it looks like the price of 939 processors is down, is it a good time to upgrade?

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Wait till July then decide, im dithering wether to get a new 939(probably a 4400+) or making the switch to AMD or maybe even conroe.

rumble291

rumble291

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
Well ive just upgraded as I found a AMD Athlon 64 3800+ for £96. I had a XP 2400 which was horrible to play games on. The processor you have is alright for gaming I would wait though till the Conroe comes out as it is much better than the FX-60. If you do choose to upgrade you will also need to get DDR2 memory and a new graphics card.

Tru Techie

Tru Techie

• PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
i'd take scotts advice. with the release of the conroe in the midst and the G80 video cards, and i hear that ATi has a pre release to the R600 to battle nvidias G80s, i think its the R580 or something, lemme just confirm that, wait im not so sure what its called exactly, but its definitely and R5xx, but yeah, supposedly they r to release another before the R600

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
the heck is conroe? lol

whered u get the 3800+ for £96 rumble?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Conroe or core 2 Duo is the new intel CPU even the mid range one that will sell for around £200 can beat an FX62 at pretty much everything.

G80 doesnt look as good, i think unless nvidia has something miraculous for this generation they are going to fall behind ATI. With the switch to DX10 ATI has an advantage because they actually helped design the APIs and have been working no the technology longer. R600 will be something to be reconed with as its technology wise increased ATIs lead, Nvidia have been lagging behind on alot of features that while didnt directly affect FPS were something that makes things look better and work better.

It seems they are going to use the GDDR4 of the x1900 and release a final super x1900 to keep the G80s at bay while they start production on the R600s. It was to be expected why put ddr4 support if you arent going to use it. The r600s will also take crossfire to its original no master card use what you want specification, combined with the PPU conversion should make crossfire more attractive and effective solution than SLI.

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
holy moley!! Intel taking back the gaming market(assuming they had it at one point) you think?

I think my 850 has some life left in it, runs BF2 and CSS great (not oblivion though, but i dont care, since it sucks)

rumble291

rumble291

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
www.scan.co.uk or www.microdirect.co.uk I bought mine and the next day were out of stock at scan. Think they are getting more in though cause i found it and it was out of stock so i was gonna stick with a 3700 when i came to order it there was an 3800 cheaper than the 3700. X850 are good cards you now just need a good CPU as with the CPU you have its holding back the graphics card.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
850s are still powerful cards there only disadvantage is SM2.0 and some game developers dont develop HDR for 2 and 3.

SecretMaster

SecretMaster

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
When exactly are the DX10 cards being released? I can never seem to find out when that is happening.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The manufacturers are keeping quiet, by the looks of it G80s could be as early as August but probably september then with the ATI super x1900 coming out the same time and the r600s coming out november/december for the christmas rush.

They time the releases so to get the best sales but it usually means a longer wait for the cards which sucks.