Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is the laptop's NIC changable?

• Please log in to reply

traiann

traiann

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,

I have a dell laptop that have mechanical problems with the onboard, incorporated NIC.
Someone tried to unplug the network cable without pressing the RJ45(if that's the technical) clap and broke some small plastic parts, which made the cable connector stay stable(the small plastics that are also responsible for the "click" sound at cable insertion).

I have a laptop that is broken and I thought that I can take that NIC(or just the plastic part) and replace it with the broken one.

I just want to know if there is possible, or do I need to buy an USB/PCMCIA network adapter. I hope not.

Thank you,
TraianN

Edited by traiann, 19 June 2006 - 09:23 AM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it's not likely to be possible/easy unless you know how to correctly unsolder/resolder the port back on there...and being on the board...it makes it extremely dangerous to do so (at least for those who don't know how to do it)...the easy sollution would the pcmcia or usb ethernet card..