Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

desktop icons changed, will not open short cuts

• Please log in to reply

teresamay

teresamay

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
My problem started when I tried to download something from an email. The message I got was "can not open file with accessability wizard running.
I accessed the wizard hoping there was some place I could "turn it off" or stop it from running. During this, I must have uninstalled something. I recieved "missing information needed to run accessability wizard during boot up and when trying to open downloads.
I tried to repair/reinstall missing information with windows 98 CD. Nothing happend. So I tried to just reinstall operating system. The reinstall would not complete and I had to do a system restore in order to reboot.
After reboot everything in windows opened fine. But most of the desktop icons and title bar icons changed . They are now a piece of paper with a folded corner. All of these have .lnk after icon name. None of these icons will open the related program when clicked.
I ran a system function test and had a lot of programs that have been changed or are missing. My 98 disk will not repair/install any of them. Not sure if this has anything to do with it.
I am at a loss and do not know what to do. I considered just upgrading my OP to windows 2000 hoping it would install the needed files. I did this. It did not repair anything.
Any help would be great!!
I am not sure if this is a registry, missing file problem or what.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
what operating system is this using now? Windows 2000?

go here:
http://www.dougknox..../file_assoc.htm

download

LNK (Shortcut) File Association Fix (Restores Default Shortcut Behavior)

that should fix it if you are using win2000

teresamay

teresamay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I unzipped the file and added it to my registry. Nothing happened. Is there something else that I need to do?
O.h. I am using Win 2000.

Edited by teresamay, 19 June 2006 - 10:20 AM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
reboot

teresamay

teresamay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I rebooted after my last reply. Everything is great now!
Thanks a ton!!!

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
:whistling:

Thanks for letting us know