Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Removing Windows ME partitions

• Please log in to reply

hk91

hk91

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Howdy Folks

I have a HP 8860 computer. (bought at Circuit City, Feb. 2001)
60gb hd
128 mb sdram
1 ghz processor
Win ME

Over the time Ive had it, it's proven itself a real piece of junk. (I blame Microsoft, not HP)
I know nothing about using Linux. I jumpted in because I'm old and stupid.
I installed SUSE Linux. So far it does what I want. Open Office is great. I have not tried anything with photos or music because it's incredibly slow. I know I need more ram.
If I use the Linux partition tool to remove the windows partitions, will it speed things up?
Was SUSE a bad choice for my computer? (computer to old)
I'm not comitted to any particular Linux distribution. I just hate Microsoft.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Bob Moore

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
removing windows me will not speed you up....it would only free up harddrive space.

You could try switching your gui to gnome as I think suse linux uses kde as its default, but either way, more ram would definitely suit you better

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Suse isn't a bad choice. the biggest knocks of suse ( I use it myself ) is that it is a resource hog. The more ram you can give it the better. The other is the non-inclusion of some software. Playing movies and such is something you may have to find other software to add to you stuff. And like was said it will not speed you up to remove winme just give you more hd space to use. I'm currently running suse 10 on my P3 800mhz dual processor and I love it. Oh just thought of another "problem" that is common for linux. If you are a gamer there just isn't a lot of stuff ( relatively compared to windows ) but there are some methods of dealing with that to some degree as well.

hk91

hk91

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Howdy Folks,

Thanks for your kind replays.
I've been slow to replay, due to a personal tragety. It's a dog thing.
Can you suggest a book that uncomplickes the vodoo command line?
So far everything I type has no effect. I feel like a drunk sailor on Saturday night.

My Hank, My Chewie Rest Babies..........

Edited by hk91, 27 June 2006 - 02:46 PM.