Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Massive problems throughout my system

• Please log in to reply

Mr. Martini

Mr. Martini

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I'm posting this here because I am at a complete loss to determine what is going on with my system, whether it is hardware, malware, virus, etc. etc. I'll start at the beginning.

My setup is thus, I have two desktops on a network (Linksys, wireless - one connected through ethernet, the other a wireless modem), one is an HP system, the other Cyberpower PC, both XP service pack 2. About three weeks ago my computer began to prematurely shut down and restart any time a higher function happened (rendering, scanning, copying a lot of files, etc. more than just being idle). My first thought was either a virus/malware or a software issue. Did a complete up-to-date virus scan of the system with Norton, then then same with Spybot Search and Destroy, no viruses and just a few tracking cookies which I then follow up with Sysinternals' Root Kit Revealer, nothing. After asking around, it was suggested that it may be a hardware problem, and the computer was automatically shutting off as a protective measure against something like overheating. Well, upon a cursory visual inspection of my box everything seems fine, I have no less that 5 fans on the case (all working, clean an uncluttered of dust bunnies) and the CPU fan is humming away brilliantly. Just about that time, my computer starts acting fine, but my wife's computer (mine is the ethernet, her's is wireless) gets hit with the same problems. My thinking, must be a software issue, because that's the only thing that can affect the two systems (and the possibility that both have a similar hardware failure a the same time is remote). So I go through the same process on her's, Norton, then Spybot, with no results. Here though, I dowload Avast! antivirus and Microsoft's Antispyware program and run them as a backup, nothing. Next I consult my IT neighbor. He comes over and runs Macaffee from DOS, no viruses. Suddenly her computer starts acting normal and my computer becomes maligned again. Well, throwing my hands up in disgust, I disconnect my computer from the network (trapped you little bugger!) and copy off all relevant data, and reinstall windows from the factory CD. Still does it. Fine! So I do a complete reformatting and repartitioning of the hard drive, and a brand spanking new install of XP. Still does it. Now I'm not even connected to the internet, but if I do something like change the display settings, BAM, crash and reboot.

This is where I am now. MY wife's computer is working ok (for now) mine is still crashing. Makes me think this really is a hardware issue on mine (what could still be on my computer?). If it is hardware, how do I go about diagnosing the problem? What else could it be? Ideas?

As a side note, I will mention another problem that may or may not be related, with my laptop. The laptop has not been linked to the network until yesterday, and it was acting weird. It would run and the CPU usage would spike up to 80% for a second, then drop of for about 2 seconds, then spike again. Really annoying because the pointer stops moving during this "processing" and everything seems to freeze, programs, anything. Last night Avast! found a trojan horse, couldn't isolate it and I deleted it, but it still does this and I don't see anything in the task manager that tells me what is doing thist. It started doing this about a week ago at a hotel I was at a on an insecure wireless internet connection, and just did it a little at first, but has gotten gradually worse. Anyway, don't worry about this problem in this post unless you think it may be related to the problem above.

Thanks for any help.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Based on this part of your post

" It started doing this about a week ago at a hotel I was at a on an insecure wireless internet connection "

Please follow the procedures outlined here: Malware Removal Guide

You will need a PC which can connect to the internet

Run all the programmes as advised then post a current Hijack This Log in a new topic in the Malware Forum

For the purpose of accurate malware analysis, Hijack This Logs are only dealt with in the Malware Forum. Posting them anywhere else will result in a delayed response

If you are unable to run any of the programmes, please ask for advice in the Malware Forum

Mr. Martini

Mr. Martini

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
The problem with my laptop is a separate issue. I'm going through it right now, my main concern with the post is my desktops at home. The last bit was just a note in case it is relevant.

Any ideas on the first part of my note?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This will check everything software related

Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

If you do not have an XP CD you can borrow a same version as was originally installed XP CD, if you downloaded SP2 then you need an SP1 XP CD

Click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

Windows will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this.

This will take an hour or so before it gets to the desktop.

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot. You should disable the antivirus programme to run this and check it is running after the reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

Mr. Martini

Mr. Martini

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
What about hardware? Any ideas?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can run memtest and use programmes to check the hard drive, though you need to go in one direction thoroughly to be comfortable that it has to be hardware or software