Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

secure wireless network

• Please log in to reply

ajcool123

ajcool123

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
Okay guys here is the deal, I know some about wireless networking for a home and such but I want to make sure before I go out and purchase stuff (router, cards, etc) that I will get a unit that I can setup great security with. Now I have done some research and it looks like the best security would be to use a combination of WAP and MAC filtering.

I understand how mac filtering works because that is just an option in the router setup, but what about WAP? Also do you guys think WAP + MAC is the best way to go to secure the network.

I am setting it up in our house next year down at college and I don't want other kids who live next door to have access or be able to hack into it.

What router would be the best with b/g compatibility and that I could setup security on.

Thanks! :whistling:

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
pretty much all routers have the capability to use both WAP and WEP encryption (the most important part of that is your wireless adapter's support of either of these technology)...also pretty much all router's now are fully g (and subsequently b) compatible....in generall i would say stick with the known brands (i.e. linksys or netgear or the like)... i don't know squat about WAP...but i think it works about the same as WEP ans it's just mainly an authentication/encryption technology...but either of those in conjunction with mac address filtering (and not broadcasting the ssid)...generally make for an effectively bulletproof setup (anything can be hacked...unless it's turned off and burried in the back yard encased in concrete)

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
WAP is definitely the most effective form of encryption for your Wireless.. Nowadays it is painfully easy to spoof a physical address and subsequently bypass MAC filtering; so on it's own, MAC filtering is virtually useless. As dsenette said, make sure that your adapters support WAP -- no point in having a router that supports WAP if your adapters don't :whistling: It is highly unlikely that anyone in your neighbourhood will be able to crack WAP encryption, so you should be fine.. And it definitely won't hurt to turn on MAC filtering.