Jump to content

Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Dell Latitude Power on/off switch will not work


  • Please log in to reply

#1
snurg

snurg

    Member

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
About a year ago I purchased a used Dell Latitude notebook PC model #PP01L from a PC retailer.

A number of weeks ago I ejected the battery whilst the said PC was switched on & in use (in windows), however it was powered using mains power via a dell AC power adpapter at the time.

It was at this point it simply switched itself off in front of me - with the power adapter still on via mains power and properly connected. I have not been able to power-up the PC since in anyway whatsoever.

A noteworthy issue is that the original dell battery was in an old & in need of a replacement state & is almost usesless as it would only allow about 20mins operation before going flat. I have since bought a new exacting dell battery (& charged) for the PC but it still will not function. It does not even display any stand-by lights on the keyboard or monitor which I know it used to, at least while recharging the battery using Mains power when the PC was not in use.

I am aware that dell have a factory recall for the stated model's power adapter via their website. I even rang the telephone hotline & dell denied it was their fault the power would not work (an odd denial for an admitted hardware fault & near matching serial number problem). However the AC power adapter seems to still function OK having a lit green diode constantly lit whilst connected to the mains power. I've called dell numerous times & they say they are at a loss to what the problem might be - their advice was obviously to take it to a PC techy.

It is about 4years old & so it is no longer under warrenty & any repairs would be throwing good money into aged technology. I would rather take the repair moneys to invest in a new PC.

I would like to try & fix the problem myself. I am wondering if I should replace the `suspect` power AC adapter or at least test it, or take dell on over the replacement of the adapter, or fix a small problem? Is it a small matter of a tiny fuse, or the physical switch on the notebook which I can repair myself..............what do you guys think? :whistling:
  • 0

Advertisements


#2
troppo

troppo

    Member

  • Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
more than likely you have shorted out something when you removed the battery.

you should not have removed it whilst the mains power and even the laptop was still on

buy doing that you were asking for trouble.

you could have damaged the motherboard or even the cpu when you did that i odnt no how to help you with this because laptops arent my thing but in the future do not do this again

troppo
  • 0

#3
cheathawk1

cheathawk1

    Member

  • Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Troppo is right, taking the battery out while the computer was still on is a big no no. You probably shorted out the conection between the battery and the computer. What you could do is test out he adapter on another laptop if you have a friend with one that takes the same type of adapter. The good news is I doubt you fried the motherboard or CPU because you said absolutly no lights or fans come on when you try to turn it on right? It justs sits there as if it was off? If your good with micro-elctrical repairs I would suggest you remove the case cover and inspect the connection between the battery and computer, as well as the area around the AC connection. Look for burn marks/melted parts/ etc. If your unable to find the problem (let alone repair it) I would reccomend saving your money and looking into a new laptop, or even building a custom one using some salvagable parts from this one, if you feel comfortable do that.

If you find any other advice that works please post it here and let me know, so that I can pass it on to others who might need it.

--Chris
  • 0

#4
snurg

snurg

    Member

  • Topic Starter
  • Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks for the suggestions. Live & learn I guess. Good thing I don't consider it a valuable PC.

I will try to open the laptop & check things out over the next week or so & get back to this post

:whistling:

cheers
  • 0






Similar Topics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

As Featured On:

Microsoft Yahoo BBC MSN PC Magazine Washington Post HP