Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Graphics Card Overheating

• Please log in to reply

DavidAHunt

DavidAHunt

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hello, ive had a pNY Verto 68GT for some time now but lately its been overheating extremely quickly. Lately my pc has had its hard drive replaced because it suddenly died, however ive not been noticing some nasty temperature fluctuations within my graphics card, on desktop it is now idling around a range from between 60-80C, however whenever i boot up a game, such as CS Source, the temperate skyrockets up to 105C within just 5 minutes. Is ther eany possible reasons for this nasty change in my graphics card.

The graphics card is NOT overclocked at all, the fan is working fine, and ive tried a range of different drivers.

Thanks in advance, David.

Advertisements

RichP

RichP

• PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
An obvious thing to cheack, but have you cleaned out the inside with a vacuum recently? Is there anything that could block airflow from intakes?

DavidAHunt

DavidAHunt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Yeah, i've gone as far as to remove my graphics card and blow/vacuum any dust from the fans and intakes as possible, it's weird, i've never ever had this problem before, yet any games i play seem to skyrocket my teperature in a matter of minutes

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
do you have pleanty of air flowing through your case?

how many fans in your case do you have and where are they positioned?

what type of case do you have? generic or custom?

what are your other temps CPU? MOBO?

troppo

DavidAHunt

DavidAHunt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
As for airflow, i have the side of my case off, and have made sure the card itself has ample space in which to vent heat.

The case is a HP Pavilion and it has 2 fans, one rear exhaust and one CPU fan.

As for CPU Temps, it seems to be running at a steady 35-45C when not under much load, and this doesnt change when i paly a game. Same for my HD, it runs around 40C most of the time aswell.

I wonder if the fan may have became a tad dodgy, but it looks to be spinning ok

MNOB07

MNOB07

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
Have you tried remounting the heatsink?