Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HD problem or something

• Please log in to reply

drlovemoose

drlovemoose

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
I got a computer from my friend and he told me it needs a new hard drive. Its an asus decktop PC. When I turn the PC on it says: Disk Boot FAILURE insert system disk and press ENTER... does this PC need a new HD or how can I check. I did check all the cables and connections and they seem fine. When I went into ALT + F2 I got the following:
ASUS EZ FLASH V 1.60
ASUSTEK COMPUTER INC
[ONBOARD BIOS INFORMATION]
BIOS VERSION: AZUS ASUS A7V8X ACPI BIOS REVISON 1006
BIOS MODEL A7V8X
BIOS BUILT DATE 09/13/02

PLEASE ENTER FILE NAME FOR NEW BIOS...

NOTE: EZ FLASH WILL COPY FILE FROM A:\

Does this mean a new BIOS is needed? Please help thank you.

Advertisements

RichP

RichP

• PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Take the hard drive out and see who is the manufacturer. Then go to their website and download a diagnostic utility to create a bootable floppy disk. Put a blank formatted floppy in the drive and run the utility.

Reboot and change the boot order to floppy first. Save the changes and exit, leaving the floppy in the drive.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
why'd you press alt f2?..i assume that is what brought up the asus bios flash utility which...you shouldn't need to monkey with..

have you put a new hard drive in the computer yet?

drlovemoose

drlovemoose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
I did not put a new hard drive in yet but I will try to run the HD diagnostics test and see what happens. How do I go and change the boot order I was pressing F8 and no luck.

RichP

RichP

• PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
It's usually by pressing F2 as your computer starts up. It should tell you briefly as it starts. If not that, it's often F1, Esc or Del.