Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Myst IV Configuration-Graphics Driver

• Please log in to reply

jecm254

jecm254

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
On a whim, I recently purchased Myst IV Revelation, which is supplied on DVD-ROM. Since it's been out for a while, I hoped that it would work with my graphics card.
I'm running Windows XP SP2, with Intel Celeron 2.40 GHz, 736 Mb RAM, 37.3 GB hard drive.
Video card: S3 Graphics ProSavage DDR

In the Myst IV Configuration window, it states that my graphics card is compatible but the driver is not.
I downloaded and installed the latest driver for the card and I still get this error message. I also downloaded and installed an update for the game.
The game will not start.

I hope someone can help me to make the right adjustments to my system so that I can run this game, without having to buy a new video card (not worth it - the game was only $20).

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The game is old but your gfx chip is even older i think it will be almost 10 years old and prosavage wasnt good back then when they were a popular integrated solution. Myst is failry new 2004 and it was very graphically intensive then and still is fairly so now by all accounts. I dont think you are going to run the game as s3prosavage among its many faults doesnt handle opengl very well at all and that was a problem with many games being openGL.

MOLEXRULZ

MOLEXRULZ

• PipPipPip
  • 346 posts
The best suggestion I can give is upgrade your videocard

If you are willing to do so just say and I'll give you a schpeal.

jecm254

jecm254

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thanks for the fast responses, even though it's not what I wanted to hear.

The Myst IV User Guide that came with the DVD set states that, at the time of the game's release, the following video cards were supported:
ATI Radeon 7000 to 9800 or better
NVIDIA GeForce 1/2/3/4/FX families
Matrox Parhelia (PC only)
Intel i865G to i915G (PC only)

It also states:
"Laptop models of these cards are not supported. These chipsets are the only ones that will run this game. Additional chipsets may be supported after release."

My computer meets (actually exceeds) all of the other system requirements. I guess I should have read the fine print before I bought the game, but I didn't have a decent magnifying glass with me.

Video cards are pretty expensive, aren't they?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Not all of then, you can get one that will play myst for under $100 wont be fantastic high settings but should be allright, it depends on your interface agp or pci express, they are the long ports beneath the PCI slots.

AGP is what you might have if you are lucky, PCI if you arent but you can get a pci fx5500 which will play myst for around $50 so its not that bad.

MOLEXRULZ

MOLEXRULZ

• PipPipPip
  • 346 posts
:blink:

If you do want a new videocard...which you will need to play Myst, then take the following steps

1. Remove screws from back of case to take of the cover
2. Remove the cover
3. Look (facing the mobo) in the bottom left section of the motherboard, you will see multiple slots
The top most slot will either be PCI or AGP. If it is AGP it will be a different color and be ofset slighty.

You will have a PCI slot or 2 or 3 or 4, but most likely you WILL NOT have a AGP slot.

Here are some images to compare to!

AGP (The brown port)
http://en.wikipedia....ge:AGP_slot.jpg

PCI (The white slots)
http://en.wikipedia....e:Pci-slots.jpg

Once you have made the determination as to which port you have, please reply below! :help:

Molexrulz :whistling:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
There is no need to open the system and given there is no standard colour coding for gfx interface slots ot often doesnt help you need to compare the interface from a good pic to really tell especailly if its cheap and doesnt have a tell tale retention clip. Doesnt really matter if you dont have a system that wont have either AGP or PCI-e its AGP or it wont be listed as having anything in which case its PCI which almost every PC in a decade has had.

Much easier is the software route, using PCwizard or something similar to find out the interface or the mobo model both of which will tell you the info. No need to open up the system in most cases its just added hassle.

MOLEXRULZ

MOLEXRULZ

• PipPipPip
  • 346 posts
It can't be PCI-e the S3 chipset isnt designed to work with a intel 900 series chipset

MOLEXRULZ

MOLEXRULZ

• PipPipPip
  • 346 posts
I checked out the PCWIZARD program...thats a awesome tool

Use that!

jecm254

jecm254

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I installed and ran PC Wizard 2006 - here is the mainboard report:

PC Wizard 2006 Version 1.68
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Owner: xxxxxxxxx
User: xxxxxxxxx
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 5.01.2600 Service Pack 2
Report Date: Tuesday 20 June 2006 at 11:52

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<<< Mainboard >>>
> Manufacturer : Mind Computer Products
> Mainboard : ECS P4VMM2
> Bios : American Megatrends Inc.
> Chipset : VIA P4M266 (VT8751)
> Physical Memory : 768 MB DDR-SDRAM
> ISA Bus : Yes
> PCI Bus : Yes
> AGP Bus : Yes
> USB Bus : Yes
> SMBus/i2c Bus : Yes
> Bus HyperTransport : No
> Bus CardBus : No
> Bus FireWire : No

***** End of report *****

It says I have an AGP Bus, so does that change my options for a video card?

MOLEXRULZ

MOLEXRULZ

• PipPipPip
  • 346 posts
Yes!

This is very good...this means you have a ton of options

Now...can you give me an estimate at what your budget is?
o...and what color do you like better Red or Green

jecm254

jecm254

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Yes!

This is very good...this means you have a ton of options

Now...can you give me an estimate at what your budget is?
o...and what color do you like better Red or Green

Well, I don't know if I'm going to proceed with a video card upgrade. It's getting too expensive for a $20 game. I might check around locally to see if there's one available cheap; if not, I'll just put the game on the shelf and amuse myself some other way. Hmmmm, I wonder what I'd need for Myst V?

BTW, I prefer Red over Green, but I like Green, too.

MOLEXRULZ

MOLEXRULZ

• PipPipPip
  • 346 posts
I found this on Newegg

Good price too...

You will be able to play Myst V with this, as well as pretty much any game out now

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814121216

jecm254

jecm254

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

I found this on Newegg

Good price too...

You will be able to play Myst V with this, as well as pretty much any game out now

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814121216

Thanks for the info, but that's WAY more than what I would want to spend.
I think I'll just shelve it for now.

MOLEXRULZ

MOLEXRULZ

• PipPipPip
  • 346 posts
Hmm...lemme look for 1 more thing...

(looks)

...this is a bit cheaper
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814131007

...hmm

If you can find a geForce 5900xt that may be cheaper than that^^

but newegg doesnt carry them anymore...