Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How can I make my dvd drive burn dvds

• Please log in to reply

aquevedo831

aquevedo831

• PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
Hello my laptop has a dvd drive and I want to burn dvds with it. When i try burning dvds I recieve a message stating "no dvd burner drive recognized" My dvd drive model is HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4241N. I was wondering if there is a driver that i can download to update my drive. Or if there is software I can download to let me burn dvds with my drive.

Advertisements

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
well this might sound stupid but, do you actually have a DVD burning drive???

obviously you cannot burn dvd's without a DVD rewritable drive.

troppo

aquevedo831

aquevedo831

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
It does not specifically say. All it says is dvd rom. I have looked on the internet and I have found it should burn dvds.

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
a DVD-ROM drive will allow you to read DVD's but will not allow you to burn DVD's.

go to control panel--->system--->hardware--->device manager--->DVD/CR-ROM drives and see if it says that it is a DVD-RW drive or DVD-ROM drive,

troppo

aquevedo831

aquevedo831

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
It says DVD/Cd-rom drives and when you click on the plus to see the items it sais, HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4241N

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
well funilly enough i have a LG DVD-ROM drive aswell.

it is a ROM drive which will not allow you to burn DVD's

it can read CD's (ROM/RW/R), DVD's (+/- RW) but will not allow you to burn them thats where you get the message "no dvd burner drive recognized" because there isnt actually a DVD writable drive.

sorry to say but you might have to bu a DVD/RW drive to allow you to burn DVD's

troppo

aquevedo831

aquevedo831

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
Is there no possible way to make it burn dvds. Like installing a certain driver for it. Or some sort of software.

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
no not whatsoever

there is a big difference in writable drives and readable drives

you have to buy a new drive in order to burn DVD's there is no other way around it if you wnat i can help steer you in the right direction in buying a drive but then thats where the help stops i dont no how to install drives into laptops i hear they are trickey to get into but im sure someone can help you with that.

troppo

aquevedo831

aquevedo831

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
Well thank you for your help. I know which dvd burner drive i want to buy. It was specifically made for my laptop. Thanks for your help

HaraldR

HaraldR

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
Seems to be a common problem with HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4241N burner

Try this dell fix it may help Dell fix

Edited by HaraldR, 19 June 2006 - 06:58 PM.

aquevedo831

aquevedo831

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
HaraldR I did what you said and I still get the error message "No compatible DVD-Recorders found"

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Get the DVD burner drive you found aquevedo. The one you have now is only a DVD ROM (aka reader ONLY).

Installing should be very easy for most laptops. Usually have one or two screws to secure a lock underneath the laptop. Unlock that and you should be able to pop it out.

aquevedo831

aquevedo831

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
Thank you. I guess this is resolved.