Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

problems with DSL internet

• Please log in to reply

POC Computer

POC Computer

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
gerryf:

OK,

Here are the problems I am having:

1. I am having trouble with my wireless Internet. My network might be connected incorrectly. If this is the case, I would need someone who can take me through the setup process. More likely, though, is that I have picked up some kind of virus that is affecting my Internet capabilities. What happens is that I will click on the Internet icon, and go to a website. I can usually get to two or three pages before the Internet says "the page cannot be displayed." Now, this message is ridiculous because I pay for wireless Internet, and when I look at my router, everything is fine. I have tried restarting the router, rebooting the computer, and setting up a Virtual Private Network (which was a bad idea). What happens when I get the "cannot be displayed" message is that I go to the computer network icon in the lower righthand corner of my screen, refresh the network list, and then everything is fine. I used to be able to hit the repair button, but about two weeks ago that stopped working.

2. Another strange Internet problem is occurring: when I go to open a second IE window, it closes and replaces the first one. This has started happening recently, which is why I suspect that it also has to do with whatever malware I have attracted.

3. I have several programs: Spybot, Ad-Aware, ewido, ccleaner, look-2-me destroyer, etc. that are intended to clean up and get rid of viruses. However, they find nothing. This makes me think that their integrity has been compromised, and wonder if the virus also alters other existing programs on my computer. I have tried removing the programs and re-downloading them with the same effect as before; they still find nothing.

4. My monitor is also performing strangely. There is a light blue color that flickers across the screen (usually when I am on the Internet). Sometimes, the "blue" is over the entire screen, which makes it difficult to notice because the screen just looks darker. Other times, as mentioned previously, the screen flickers "blue" in columns or stripes. This, for obvious reasons, is much more noticeable. While this could be a monitor problem, the nature and timing of the occurance makes me think this is also connected to the virus somehow.

These are the main problems I have, although I am sure I can think of more if these get answered. I have tried everything I know of to fix these problems. I am now out of my depth. This is why I am writing to you for assistance. :whistling: (please)

If you need further information or :::crossing fingers::: have ideas for me, please respond to this post. My computer system is not working, and I rely on it to work for business and personal ventures. I need as much help as can be afforded. I understand that the people working on this site are volunteers. Please know how much you (and your help) are appreciated.

I would like to request gerryf because he has been of great help in the past. Thank you in advance for your help and attention to this matter.

POC Computer

Edited by POC Computer, 19 June 2006 - 08:16 PM.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Let's tackle these 1 at a time

How far away is the PC from the wireless access point/router? What kind of router? What kind of wireless card? Are there any wireless devices near the card or router (phone?) How about microwave oven?

This sounds like a weak signal issue more than anything else.

POC Computer

POC Computer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
In answer to your questions:

The PC in question is about 15 feet away from the router.

The router is a Netgear Rangemax Wireless Router. I also have a little black box that says SpeedStream (just so you know).

I don't know what you mean by wireless card. Please let me know where I should look for it, and I will let you know what I have.

There are no wireless devices closer than this computer. The phone is in the next room (roughly 30 feet away). The microwave is around the corner, and definitely more than 15 feet away.

It doesn't say the signal is weak, but come to think of it, I know very little about this machinery. My roommate bought and installed it. Perhaps I should ask him what everything means on it.

POC Computer

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
the speedstream box and the netgear are both routers....two routers on one network can be...problematic. Routers are used to connect two networks, or route between them, so having two might be an issue.

I need more information

Your wireless card is the wireless device in your pc...sometimes, it is built in, sometimes it is an add-on card.

start > run
devmgmt.msc
<enter>

please list the devices under network interface card

POC Computer

POC Computer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
gerrf,

I do not see anything under the heading "network interface card", but I do see "network adapters." Under that heading, there are three bullets:

-1394 Net Adapter
-3Com 3C920 Integrated Fast Ethernet Controller (3C905C-TX Compatible)
-Linksys Wireless-G PCI Adapter

The last one is the only one that is enabled. If I click on the first two, a little computer icon comes up at the top of the window that says Enable.

Another grouping I see is Universal Serial Bus Controllers. There are four bullets under that one:

-Intel® 82801BA/BAM USB Universal Host Controller - 2442
-Intel® 82801BA/BAM USB Universal Host Controller - 2444
-USB Root Hub
-USB Root Hub

All of these are enabled.

Other headings that I see are:

Computer, Disk drives, Display adapters, DVD/CD-ROM drives, Floppy disk controllers, Floppy disk drives, IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers, IEEE 1394 Bus Host Controllers, Keyboards, Mice and other pointing devices, Monitors, Ports (COM & LPT), Processors, Sound video and game controllers, System devices.

If this isn't what you need, just let me know. I will look some more. Thank you!

POC Computer

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts

-Linksys Wireless-G PCI Adapter

That was what I was after

Can you tell me what ADAPTER (scroll down)

http://www.linksys.c...FVisitorWrapper

POC Computer

POC Computer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
What do you mean by "tell me what adapter?" When I scroll down on the page, mine is the Wireless-G PCI Adapter. It looks like a long black tail that sticks out of the back of my computer.

POC Computer

Edited by POC Computer, 24 June 2006 - 01:01 AM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
on the link I provided to the linksys product pages are pictures of pci adapters....which one is yours?

tell you what, let's change tactics

download Everest Home

http://www.geekstogo...d...=show&id=13

unzip it, install it, and then save a report and ATTACH it to your next post.

To do this, go to FILE > SAVE AS

put it on your desktop and give it a file name

Now click the ADD REPLY button on the bottom of this thread, click the BROWSE button beneath the text bo and navigate to your desktop, select your file and click the OPEN button, and then click the ADD THIS ATTACHMENT button next to the BROWSE button

Click Add reply button

POC Computer

POC Computer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Hallo gerrf!

I have run the program you requested. I also have the report attached to this message.

POC Computer

Attached Files

POC Computer

POC Computer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Another thing:

My roommate did all the setup Internet-wise. The black box, according to him, was given to us by the DSL company. Then, he purchased a wireless router from Netgear that attaches to the black box. He thinks I should mention that he has a Mac, and so perhaps the setup configurations aren't working because of the Mac setup. Just a thought.

POC Computer

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
First thing I want you to do is download and install the newest driver

http://www.linksys.c...FVisitorWrapper

Just want to get that out of the way as the most likely issue

POC Computer

POC Computer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
gerrf:

All right, when I downloaded and installed the program you requested, my entire system went crazy. The Internet would not work AT ALL because there were two programs fighting to connect me to the Internet. Windows said that if I had enabled other software to connect to the Internet, I needed to use that. However, I don't know how to use the other software. There seemed to be no "troubleshoot" or "repair" options that I could see. So I had no Internet at all, and two programs fighting for supremacy.

I promptly went to the Control Panel, and deleted the Linksys adapter. This maybe was not the best idea, but I was a bit panicked at the time. I then went back to the software I downloaded and looked around a bit more thoroughly at my options. I finally saw what I am guessing you intended me to install, a version under the folder Utility, and now things are fine.

I will update you on how my system is doing periodically. So far, the Internet has been OK. In the bottom righthand corner, I see the little computer icon and it is flashing that I am connected to my wireless network with Excellent Signal Strength. Now, what about the other problems I mentioned...like only being able to have one Internet window open at a time?

POC Computer

Edited by POC Computer, 25 June 2006 - 05:26 PM.

POC Computer

POC Computer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Just an update:

My wireless network is not working now. I had to switch to someone else's network. Perhaps we should investigate this. I also tried to attach a Hijack This log...in case you need that. Unfortunately, an error came back saying "Upload failed. You are not permitted to upload a file with that file extension." Oh well.

POC Computer

Edited by POC Computer, 25 June 2006 - 08:00 PM.

POC Computer

POC Computer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Hey gerryf:

I'm guessing that when I edit a comment, you can't see that. Interesting quirk in the system.

jen

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I do not get a notification when you update a thread....And since I am generally helping between 30 and 40 people at a time, I depend on the update

for hijackthis Save the update log as a a TXT file, instead of a log file