Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

problems with DSL internet

• Please log in to reply

POC Computer

POC Computer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
OK gerry!

I will try that. Thanks.

POC Computer

Advertisements

POC Computer

POC Computer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
I hope this one works.

I copied the test in the logfile (the program brought up Notepad automatically), and saved it into a Wordpad file. It said the file was uploaded...so, I guess that is good.

POC Computer

Attached Files

POC Computer

POC Computer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Another update for you:

My system is running fine on someone ELSE's wireless. I'm wondering if I have to set everything up since I reinstalled the adapter/driver/whatever.

Let me know what I should do.

And then we can move onto the other issues. Thank you!

POC Computer

POC Computer

POC Computer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Hey! I haven't heard from you in a few days. Wondering what I should do next. POC Computer

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I had sent an PM to a malware person who helped you earlier regarding some questionable settings you have and he did not get back to me yet

Probably not related.

That is odd, and sounds like a hardware issue with your router

http://kbserver.netg...ucts/WPN824.asp

There are two versions of your router....download the firmware and update your router following instructions in your manual...DO NOT USER THE WRONG VERSION FIRMWARE OR YOUR ROUTER WILL BE DAMAGED

POC Computer

POC Computer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
OK, I will download that as soon as I can get my roommate to tell me which version. I will update you on the 5th. Happy Independence Day!

POC Computer

POC Computer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
I don't understand what "firmware" is, but I spoke with my roommate who set up the network in the first place. He set up the network through his Mac computer.

I am kind of nervous to download anything that could harm my system if I do it incorrectly.

POC Computer

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
firmware is computer code that is directly hardwired into your router...it makes the router work.

A routers "operating system" is very small because it only has to do a couple things, so it's entire "operating system is stored on a memory chip.

think of it as a windows update.

Since your PC works just fine on another network, you can rule your PC out of the equation. That means the problem is on the router.

Router makers release their devices and often find mistakes later (like software companies). They release firmware updates to update their router code.

You will not do anything to your system as the firmware does not operate on your computer. You will download it to your system as a temp storage place, but the firmware update all takes place on the router.

You enter the router interface with your browser, point to the update on your pc, the router uploads and installs it in one quick swoop

Sometimes, you need to restart your router afterward by unplugging it