Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

can't stop "encountered a problem and needs to close" ms

• Please log in to reply

tcap5225

tcap5225

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hello, first time poster, long time reader and fan. I first came on here because I had the classic msclock problem going on. I did the Start Here deal and now my Norton doesn't detect it. BUT....I fear it caused some damage before I got rid of it. I can't open some minor programs anymore because I always get the "....has encountered a problem and needs to close...blah blah blah, send error report?" Most specifically is when I try to run my disk cleanup mgr. It also does it with a few others. I'm just a military grunt who knows little about how to fix computers so any help is appreciated. Thank you.

-tcap

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi tcap5225...

Exactly what other "minor programs" won't open? The Disk Cleanup application is a system tool. Does Disk Defragmenter open? How about the Registry Editor (Click Start, then Run, type regedit and click "Ok")...does it open?

wannabe1

tcap5225

tcap5225

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
wannabe1,
Yes, defrag, and Registry Editor both open and run fine. As for the other minors that won't, my microsoft "Pictureit". There's a few more that I can't think of off hand. I'm just really concerned about my disk cleanup mgr as I like to keep maitanence up on my PC. Any ideas?

-Cap

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Open Registry Editor and, in the left pane, expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SOFTWARE, then Microsoft, then Windows, then CurrentVersion, then Explorer, then VolumeCaches, and click on Compress old files.

In the right pane, double click on Priority (Do Not Change Anything)...What is the value in the "Value Data" field?

Click "Cancel" and close Registry Editor.

tcap5225

tcap5225

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
12c is the value in "Value Data"

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The value is correct.

Using the Start Menu, right click on the link to Disk Cleanup and choose "Properties. Copy and Paste the location showing in the "Target" field here for me.

tcap5225

tcap5225

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\System Tools

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Just to make sure we're in the right place, click Start, point to All Programs, then to Accessories, then System Tools, and right click on Disk Cleanup...choose "Properties".

If the value in the "Target" field is not what I have shown in red below, Copy/Paste the red text to that field, click "Apply" then "Ok".

%SystemRoot%\System32\cleanmgr.exe

tcap5225

tcap5225

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I have the same value as that

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Download the attached file and save it to your desktop. Right click the downloaded file and select "Extract all...". In the resulting window, click "Next" and then type C:\WINDOWS\system32 into the "Files will be extracted to this directory" field...click "Next" to extract the file. Answer "Yes" if you are asked if you want to replace or overwrite the current file.

Try to open Disk Cleanup.

Attached Files

Advertisements

tcap5225

tcap5225

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
after i type in: C:\WINDOWS\system32 and click Next, it says i need a password because it's password protected.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
:whistling:

Open "My Computer", double click on "Local Disk C:", double click on "WINDOWS", double click on "system32". Does the folder open?

tcap5225

tcap5225

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
There's nothing in that windows folder. It says it was created just now

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
:whistling: :blink:
Click Start, then Run, type system32 and click "Ok". Does this open the folder?

tcap5225

tcap5225

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Yep, it sure does