Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

can't stop "encountered a problem and needs to close" ms

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok....Minimize the system32 window. Now right click on the file you downloaded, choose "Extract All..." and extract it to your desktop. Right click on the extracted file and choose "Copy". Restore the system32 window, right click in a clear area, and choose "Paste". Answer "Yes" to overwrite the current file.

Advertisements

tcap5225

tcap5225

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
did it, disk cleanup still won't open

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Time for a peak at what's running on there. Download, install, and run HiJackThis...save a log to your desktop. Right click on the log file and choose "Rename"...rename the file tcap.txt and click a clear area to set the name change.

Attach the file to your next reply for me.

tcap5225

tcap5225

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Here's the hijack this log

Attached Files

• Attached File  tcap.txt   10.63KB   142 downloads

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I see you have Spyware Doctor installed on the machine. I've run into issues where this application has prevented some Windows applications from running. Open Spyware Doctor and see if you can find an option to not have it start with Windows. If there is such an option (sorry...I don't use this app), "Apply" the changes and reboot.

If you can't stop it from running at startup, uninstall it and reboot. Then try Disk Cleanup again.

tcap5225

tcap5225

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
got it to not run from startup. Rebooted, still can't open Disk Cleanup. :whistling:

Edited by tcap5225, 19 June 2006 - 10:58 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Do you have an XP istallation cd?

tcap5225

tcap5225

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
yeah, it's a Gateway Operatiing System Windows XP Home Edition reinstallation CD. Is that what you mean?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Some OEM disks work for this, some don't.

Put the disk in the cd-rom drive and hold down the Shift key when you close the tray...this will disable any autoplay feature on the disk.

Click Start then Run...type sfc /scannow (Note the space between sfc and /) and press "Enter". Wait for the scan to finish (this can take up to an hour).

When it's finished, click Start then Run...type chkdsk /r (note the space) and click "Ok". You will be told that the volume is busy and ask if you want to schedule the task to run the the next boot...type Y and press "Enter" Reboot if it doesn't restart automatically. This will run on boot-up so restart will take a while...be patient.

tcap5225

tcap5225

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Ok, sorry it took so long to reply, I had to leave town for a few days. I just downloaded Windows XP SP2 and my problems went away. Amazing. Thanks for the help though!

-Cap

Advertisements