Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Router dropping net randomly

• Please log in to reply

FuM

FuM

• PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
im running on a wire connection with a D-link router WDR-1310 and my router seems to be acting up and :whistling: disconnecting cause my modems perfectly fine and it shows the pc activity button on and then it turns off this makes me belive its the router :blink: :help:

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hi FuM,

It could very well be the router; how long have you had it for? Does it have the latest firmware installed?

Please goto Start --> Run --> type EVENTVWR and press OK --> Now, look under the System log for any errors and/or warnings. If you find any, please post the relevant heading, along with the details inside by double clicking on the error/warning, and then copy/pasting the information from within.

The next time you lose your Internet connection, try to regain a connection by going to Start --> Run --> type CMD --> press OK. Now type:
  • ipconfig /release -- wait for the connection to release; then
  • ipconfig /renew -- wait for the connection to re-establish, or alternately for an error message to display -- if it is an error message, please post the message.

FuM

FuM

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
I see no errors that are related to my connection and i just replaced my router with a new one and it keeps randomly disconnecting for no reason

I also released and renewed my ip as you mentioned above

FuM

FuM

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
My router just decides to shut itself off this is the second one i got so far in a 6 day time period and they both had same problem also my dl speed is very slow atm i cant find a way to make it go faster

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Sorry about the slow reply, FuM.

I see no errors that are related to my connection and i just replaced my router with a new one and it keeps randomly disconnecting for no reason

Please post an example of all (recent) errors.

I also released and renewed my ip as you mentioned above

And what happened when you did this? Could you once again connect to the Internet?

my dl speed is very slow atm i cant find a way to make it go faster

Please run this Speed Test and post the results.

My router just decides to shut itself off

Is the router using the latest firmware? Are you 100% positive that it is the router that is shutting off, or is this simply your theory? Is it a random shutdown, or does it occur in set intervals?