Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Window XP stop errors

• Please log in to reply

Ching Man

Ching Man

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi,

I am running a winXP sys on an ACER PC. These recent months, my computer has been displaying a wierd behaviour of coming to a BSOD almost everyday, which give quite a few different stop errors. This symptom was absent when I first started using this PC. Over the past two years, my parents and my younger brother was the sole user of this PC while I stayed on campus and uses another laptop.

When I return home this vacation, I realised this problem and found it started half a year ago. It seems to occur randomly, mostly when the PC first started up (before Win gets to load) or while connecting to or within a few mins after connecting to the Internet. Sometimes several bsod will occur when the PC first boots for the day. Sometimes only one bsod occurs. Other times it seems fine. In any case, once the PC stabilises for the day, it remains okay till the next time we boot up the PC.

I have tried going through the google and found that it may be related to my USB ADSL modem or USB devices. I figure this as my modem also gives much trouble when I tried to dial up(couldnt connect). Yet I am not very certain as I didnt have alternative modem to test this device yet.

I am not very certain what is going on (hardware? software? drivers? virus?) and would appreciate some professional advices on steps to troubleshoot this problem.

Some of the examples of the stop errors I recieve(noted down) as summarised below:
  • *IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL 0x000000D1 and 0x0000000A error code related to USBPORT.SYS
  • *0x0000008E error code
Would appreciate any form of help.

Thanks and Best Regards,
Ching Man

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
To check it isn't a malware problem

Please follow the procedures outlined here: Malware Removal Guide

You will need a PC which can connect to the internet

Run all the programmes as advised then post a current Hijack This Log in a new topic in the Malware Forum

For the purpose of accurate malware analysis, Hijack This Logs are only dealt with in the Malware Forum. Posting them anywhere else will result in a delayed response

If you are unable to run any of the programmes, please ask for advice in the Malware Forum

Ching Man

Ching Man

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks for the prompt reply~ Keith. :whistling:

I will perform the required steps and post in the malware forum. Once I get any result I will update here again. :blink:

Edited by Ching Man, 20 June 2006 - 05:00 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Hope it goes well