Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Changes after windows update

• Please log in to reply

twolfe87

twolfe87

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
I recently installed a new hard drive in my laptop, and have been catching up on windows updates.

After updating last night I noticed that when I turn my computer on I get the screen that asks me to choose a user, which is odd, because there is only one user on my machine, and the account doesn't have a password.

Also, underneath it always says how many new emails I have on my hotmail account, which is also a bit frustrating as I don't use my hotmail account, I only got it to sign up for MSN messenger.

So, after exploring a bit I looked at the user accounts menu (from the control panel) and low and behold there is another account that is a called "ASP.NET Machine A..." (those three periods aren't because the name is too long to type, that's what it's actually called), it says it is a limited account, and that it is password protected.

I don't know the password, I didn't create the account, what is going on here, and what update do you think may have caused this?

Any help is much appreciated.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
.net framework, keeping the account or disabling it is optional

There is a service pack and a hotfix for .net framework

The user screen will go after you install those

twolfe87

twolfe87

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
Can I just delete the user account then?

What exactly is the .Net framework? On a side note I was kind of having this problem with windows messenger clashing with MSN messenger. I finally told windows messenger to not run in the background and to not start automatically and it seems to have fixed the problem. It was signing me out of MSN before, and telling me I was signed in on another computer.

Edited by twolfe87, 19 June 2006 - 11:44 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I usually delete the asp.net account

Windows messenger and MSN messenger are different

Windows messenger should be disabled with SP2

Click start then run, type services.msc then press enter to check the start up type for Messenger is disabled

.net framework is required by some programmes and hardware, ATI cards for example

twolfe87

twolfe87

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
I'm aware they are different.

I installed XP SP2, so I'm not really sure how it got on there.

I'm going to run that now.

I do have an ATI Radeon 9000 (I think?) card, there was an update for it that I chose not to install because a message came up that said it hadn't passed windows testing.

twolfe87

twolfe87

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
Ok, yes, the startup type is disabled

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Get any updates for ATI from ATI

Once you check windows messenger is disabled you could look at re-installing MSN messenger if it gives errors

.net framework would have been in the other updates

twolfe87

twolfe87

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
Ok, I think I'm in the clear now.

I rebooted and it didn't ask me to choose a user.

MSN seems to be working fine now.

Still, I can't figure out why windows would create an entirely new user account on my computer, but whatever.

Thanks for your help.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It should be fine now

IO-error

IO-error

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
Yeah, why is Windows creating that useless account??

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
it's not a useless account...the asp.net account get's used by certain services and programs that use the .net framework...or if you had IIS installed and were using an asp.net structure there....as keith said...you can disable the account (i wouldn't delete it)...it's put there so that services and software can use it when needed

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
What is this new user account for? What created it?

The aspnet_wp or ASP.NET Machine Account is created when the Microsoft .Net Framework 1.1 is installed onto a Windows XP computer. The user is created to run the asp.net worker process used in Microsoft's Internet Information Services, which allows ASP.net to run on your local web server (This is pretty much its only use, it is not used to run normal .net managed executables). There is not a need to worry about this user's presence; it was not created in malicious way.

ASP.net is a programming framework built on the common language runtime (Microsoft .net framework) which can be used on a server to build powerful Web applications. For more information on ASP.net see here

Why does it need another User Account?

Another user account is created for the ASP. Net Worker Process (Aspnet_wp.exe) so that it is not running with administrator privileges. This helps to increase security because if there was a breach the worker process is running as a lowly restricted user rather than having administrator privileges on the local machine. The big complaint with there being another user created is that when it is created it will prevent auto logon had there previously only been one user on the computer.

This can easily be corrected on the first version of the .Net Framework v1.1 by downloading the following registry file which fixes the problem by adding ASPNET to the special accounts list. To do this manually rather than using my file, go to Start > Run and type in regedit. Then create a new DWORD called ASPNET under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\UserList. There is also another manual method which can correct this issue by having the user specify which account should be used for automatic logon (see here for details).

In September 2004 Microsoft released Service Pack 1 for version 1.1 of the .Net Framework, the automatic logon issue was corrected along with further security enhancements, and full support for Windows XP Service Pack 2. To download Service Pack 1 for the framework click here (10.2Mb Download).

Can I delete it?

You can remove this account, but it is vital if you do asp.net development work on your machine.
By removing the account you may find your ASP.net projects will no longer function correctly.

It is possible to recreate the user by issuing the following command from the run dialog (changing the framework version number as appropriate)

%systemroot%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\aspnet_regiis.exe /i

IO-error

IO-error

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
Yeah, that answers my question.
With disabling, I assume you mean that it can't be accessed at the windows login screen. But if I disable it that way, would programs still be able to access it?

And if I disabled it, would it still be visible at User Accounts in Control Panel?

Btw, Keith, what do you mean with "my file"??

To do this manually rather than using my file, go to Start > Run and type in regedit. Then create a new DWORD called ASPNET under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\UserList.

Edited by IO-error, 20 June 2006 - 09:56 AM.

twolfe87

twolfe87

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
Well, Now I'm not entirely sure if I need it or not, I don't believe I do asp.net development work, but will I need it for Windows updates?

I had deleted it, but now I've created a new asp.net account. How do I "disable" it?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start, control panel, user accounts, change an account, click the asp account, click turn off, click OK / apply