Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help, Having A Problem Installing Memory

• Please log in to reply

Onestep

Onestep

• PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
I have Windows XP Pro. I have 2 PCI slots, one containing 120 mb and the other containing 256 mb giving me a total of 394 mb of memory. I bought 3 different sticks of 256 mb (due to I thought ram was bad, but its not.). I looked in Bios and it shows 2 sticks of 256 ram giving a total of 512 mb, BUT I had to take the new ram out due to when I would turn pc on a black screen would come up and I would select "start windows normally" and all that did was just keep rebooting. I have tried doing a bios update but unable due to when I put in the command on the command prompt it came back saying bad command.
Is there something in the bios that might need to be checked or unchecked? I just don't know what to do. Please help and any and all help is deeply appreciated.

Advertisements

-=Ac3=-

-=Ac3=-

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
That ram may be faulty... causing unexpected errors and forcing the computer to reboot, either test it in another comp or try to exchange it. Check that its also at the same speed as your mobo e.g 266mhz, 333mhz