Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WindowsXP/DidRestore/SalvageInfo? Help.

• Please log in to reply

DJP

DJP

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hi,
:blink:
Not sure if any one can help, just wanted an answer or suggestions, before waisting my money on some Data recovery software, that either didn't work, my information is lost forever, or that I am incapable of understanding.
Running windows Xp on a Gateway, 506GR Pentium 4.

We had a power failure during my PC booting up and I guess corrupted some files, couldn't boot into anything, so did a system resotre. PC is working fine, but of course lost alot of emails, address's, Genealogy information, pictures, etc, had done a partial back up in April, but not everyting. So even though drive was reformatted, and programs reinstalled, is that old information anywhere retrievable still?

And i know Backup, backiup, I always yell at my friends and family, just somehow lost track of time, I know no excuses. Believe me has been a BIG lesson learned.

Thanks for your time
Donna
:whistling:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Read the user manual first, avoid writing anything to the drive until you have checked if you can recover anything

http://www.pcinspect.../uk/welcome.htm

DJP

DJP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Thanks for the reply Keith,
Now I am mid level with all this stuff,
If I am reading this correctly I would have to install the program, to say an external slave drive, which I have some other information on, I plug it in when I need it. Will this program just gather information first and give me the options on what to do. Or will it do anything to the information already on the slave drive or to my new setup up of Windows XP on resotred computer. I have re installed my software that I use, so I have probably written over some stuff already, I won't proceed with anything further till I finish investigating this out. The slave drive is actually all contents of my old C drive from an old PC, I plug it in when I want to recover some information from that, but am basically using my new running version of windows. You understand what I am trying to explain, not too well. Sorry.

Thanks Donna

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The reason for putting it on another drive is so you do not overwrite what you need to recover, which you gathered anyway

You should get the options, you mainly want files in good condition, anything else will be a lot of work and even then they may not be of much use

DJP

DJP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Your right about damaged files, I was just going to make an effort, at this point I consider all lost, but If i can save something what the heck, I might as well give it a try, I just don't want to damage my old informatin on the slave drive or undo all the F work I did in the last 24 hours restoring and reinstalling, and updates, guess I should have checked this all out before, but like I said I considered all lost anyway, so I might as well give it a try.

Do you feel the program is fairly simple to use, like I said I am not an idiot, but not Joe cool on the PC either, family members usually call me for help, but not with this kind of stuff.!!
I was just looking for a program to install to look and see if there is anything there worth saving and I would decide from there, that is why I didn't just jump right in and purchase something. Wanted some reliable input first, especially regarding my ability and the ease of use of the program.

Thanks again for your assistance.
Donna

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Easiest thing is if you can see anything in the manual which isn't clear, post the question here before you start

You can install tune up 2006, (9 MB) which has a tune up undelete option, you can also install it on the drive you want to work on, then select the show only files in good condition, you can also choose file types

Because the original location won't exist now, restore to a folder you create

http://www.tune-up.com

I only have the German Beta on this PC, but you just need to use the yellow icon to open it, click the bottom one in the panel, shown highlighted here, then click tune up undelete and it is straightforward from there

[attachment=9127:attachment]