Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

chkdsk loop

• Please log in to reply

RichP

RichP

• PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
My computer kept getting stop errors that pointed to a hard disk problem.

I ran chkdsk /f /r and rebooted.

It gets to 19% at step 4 and stays like that for ages. Then a message pops up about "not enough disk space to replace bad sectors" before crashing to a stop error about hard failure.

I ran Powermax (Maxtor hard drive) and it tells me the drive is failing.

Problem How can I get it out of the chkdsk loop to transfer my data to my slave drive?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well...if the drive is failing...you probably won't be able to stay booted to it for long enough to transfer the data anyway...you COULD put the hd into another machine as a slave and transfer the data that way...or you could install windows on your current slave (after setting it as master) then set the old master as slave and transfer the data over that way.

RichP

RichP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

you probably won't be able to stay booted to it for long enough to transfer the data anyway

Good point. :whistling:

I think I have Bart's PE Builder knocking around somewhere. I'll use that. Probably take ages between crashes.

Thanks.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well....if you've got pe builder, another computer with a cd burner, and an xp disk you could go to www.ubcd4win.com and build the ultimate boot cd for windows...which you could use to boot the non working machine with..and transfer the files to the slave that way...from that machine itself