Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP ME! Computer doing this overclocking error crap!

• Please log in to reply

Bryna4216

Bryna4216

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Ok, sometimes my computer likes to shut itself off. But thats not my problem. Now it wont turn back on. It says that over-clocking failed- please enter setup to reconfigure or whatever. I keep trying to set the settings to default but that wont work. Was trying to see if it was the OS so tried to install windows again but when i try to boot from disk it tells me my hard disk drive wasn't found, but on boot it shows it being found. Don't know whats up. My motherboard is an Asus p5gd2 and i'm running a p4 chip.

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Well my guess is it's the hardware not the os. it's giving you this error right off the bat isn't it? Does it ever say starting windows before the error? If not it's a hardware issue. you may have a bad cpu or bad bios.... you could try resetting it manually.... either with a jumper ( if you have documentation and/or know how to do it on your board. ) the other option you could try pulling the battery for awhile and then replace and try again...

Bryna4216

Bryna4216

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
ok i just tried removing the battery for a little while. still dont work. It doesn't got
to then windows screen at all. It goes to the ide scan and after that the screen about
the overclocking comes up. i hit F2 to reset bios and continue and then the computer goes
to a b lack screen for a while and then it looks kinda messed up. Like the old nintendo
cartridges when they messed up when like blocks of animation were everywhere. If i have to
reset the bios manually i dont know how to do that.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

ok i just tried removing the battery for a little while. still dont work. It doesn't got
to then windows screen at all. It goes to the ide scan and after that the screen about
the overclocking comes up. i hit F2 to reset bios and continue and then the computer goes
to a b lack screen for a while and then it looks kinda messed up. Like the old nintendo
cartridges when they messed up when like blocks of animation were everywhere. If i have to
reset the bios manually i dont know how to do that.

the " messed up" screen sound like you may have a bad video card or if it's on-board maybe bad memory.... the overclocking error could also be caused by the video card as they too can be overclocked.... as far as manually resetting the bios you just did by pulling out the battery. How long did you leave it out? you may want to leave it out for 10 minutes or so

Bryna4216

Bryna4216

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
that didnt work. i had the battery out for at least a half an hour. anymore ideas? i NEED my computer for my finals this week. please any suggestions will be appreciated.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
The only other thing I can think of is to try the CLRTC1 jumper on that board to try again to clear the cmos. it should be to the right of the battery on that model. OR to try changing the video card if you have a replacement. Short of that I'd have to say either the cpu or the motherboard is hosed...

Good Luck.