Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

re installation of win xp

• Please log in to reply

okeee

okeee

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
If win xp has been installed, and activated, is it possible to re install win xp?
Is it possible to re install win xp as often as you want?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
yes, though you need to call microsoft to activate by phone after a certain number of installs.

Note, licensing requires that you install Windows on only one machine, so you can not buy a windows cd and isntall it on three machines

okeee

okeee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
So every time I want to re install, I have to call microsoft? I can re install as often as I want?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Yes, when you activate now it shows activation complete, when you go over 5 re-installs, it says you have re-installed this more than the permitted number of times, please click to activate over the phone, then it lets you enter a number which it always says is incorrect, then you hang on, it connects you to their " next available operator ", you give them the first 6 numbers, they ask if you have installed it before and if this is the only PC this copy is installed on, then they give you the numbers and windows activates

okeee

okeee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
When I install win xp on 2 different partitions, do I need to activate both of them?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
why would you want to install xp on two seperate partitions?

okeee

okeee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
If win xp has not yet been activated, can you install it as often as you want?

I mean re installing, so formatting the partition win xp is on and then re install win xp.

Edited by okeee, 21 June 2006 - 01:47 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
still didn't answer the question of why you want to install on 2 partitions

what exactly are you doing?

okeee

okeee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
I could use win xp on 2 partitions.

If win xp has not yet been activated, can you install it as often as you want?

I mean re installing, so formatting the partition win xp is on and then re install win xp.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
still not sure where this is going

You could install windows 1000 times and not activate it, but the OS will cease to operate in, what is it? 21 days? I forget.

When you activate it on one machine, you would not likely be able to activate it on a second machine, and those machines would eventually cease to function.

You could install it and activate it on single machine, then I suppose, install and activate it to a second partition on the same machine. You would still likely be prompted to activate by phone, and need to explain that this OS is functioning as a dual boot on a single machine, as the license allows windows to be installed on a single machine at a time. You might get a very confused person from India refusing to give you the activation code, though