Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Overclocking

• Please log in to reply

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Of course it runs hotter, you are increasing the number of clocks per second and these are devices that still have to obey the laws of physics, more speed=more power, and in computer chips this power is usually released as heat.

It will be a locked Bios manufacturers dont want you overclocking so they dont let you, its not possible on that motherboard by the looks of it.

Advertisements

Tru Techie

Tru Techie

• PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
@ scot, the reason why i suggested the MSI mobo, is because well, its cheap, and is one of the best. if he is on a budget, and he has the proper socket, which he doesnt, lol.

@ piano, well then that is why you cant overclock it. seeing as how you have an AMD system, would you consider switchin it up? if you were willing to spend some money, then again i would suggest the MSI mobo, with this processor
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819103535

that would add up to $170, if u have IDE hds, im pretty sure the msi supports ide as well.

now if ur not on a budget, you could either up it to a DFI Lanparty, preferablly Ultra-D or SLi-DR, or those new Asus board which many people go for, i think its the A8N or something. with a dual core processor. or a 3700+ Athlon.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
THe cheaper MSI k8 board is a fine board but it lacks alot of features its the poor brother of the platinum alot of the nice extras that make the platinum nf4ultra so good arent on the vanilla nf4, i would probably go to the abit or the gigabyte board on a budget as they are slightly cheaper and the gigabyte still has alot of features at its low price. It does support IDE all nf4s do as CD and DVD drives are still for the most part IDE. Wouldnt go with the Asus as we see alot of them on the boards we had ALOT of people with problems after christmas when all the review sites said it was great and people had cash, they found out it was great when it worked but they had a tendancy to not work.

AMD are dropping there prices mid julyish time, 30% on A64s 50% on X2s so if you upgrade then is the time, but if you are upgrading you would probably go conroe.