Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cd's won't play but Dvd's will Please HELP

• Please log in to reply

Tonzurakoite

Tonzurakoite

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Can someone please help me? I have done without my cd player/burner now for 2 months. Anytime I try to insert ANY cd regardless if it is music or software it will not recognize that it is there. It just makes a seraching sound followed by a horrible racket 30 secs later. It still recognizes all DVD's and burns, too. I have tried reinstalling (DVD drivers, IDE's and ATA's), and updating firmware, but I cannot find any updates for any of them either. I have run the troubleshooter and it says it is fine. When last it ran, I was burning a cd from itunes and it gave a bluescreen and crashed. This is the report from the cd analyzer from Itunes if it helps... And when I ran this the drive was not empty as it says.

Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)

Dell Inc. Inspiron 6000

iTunes 6.0.4.2

CD Driver 2.0.4.3

CD Driver DLL 2.0.3.2

LowerFilters: dvd43llh (3.5.0.0), PxHelp20 (2.0.0.0), drvmcdb (1.0.0.1), sscdbhk5 (1.0.0.1),

UpperFilters: GEARAspiWDM (2.0.4.3),

Video Driver: Mobile Intel® 915GM/GMS,910GML Express Chipset Family\Intel® 915GM/GMS,910GML Express Chipset

IDE\DiskSAMSUNG_MP0402H_________________________UC200-16, Bus Type ATA, Bus Address [0,0]

IDE\CdRomSONY_DVD+-RW_DW-Q58A____________________UDS1____, Bus Type ATA, Bus Address [0,0]

If you have multiple drives on the same IDE or SCSI bus, these drives may interfere with each other.

Some computers need an update to the ATA or IDE bus driver, or Intel chipset. If iTunes has problems recognizing CDs or hanging or crashing while importing or burning CDs, check the support site for the manufacturer of your computer or motherboard.

Current user is administrator.

D: SONY DVD+-RW DW-Q58A, Rev UDS1

Drive is empty.

The last failed audio CD burn had error code -128(0xffffff80). It happened on drive D: SONY DVD+-RW DW-Q58A on -128(0xffffff80) media at speed 0X.

Thank you for any suggestions!

April

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
I'm not sure but it may use different lasers for the cd and dvd.... I remember hearing they do but don't remember where so can't be sure of the validity.... with that being the assumed case I'd say the laser for the cd is shot/dirty....

I'm certainly no expert on the inner workings of DVDRW's though so I could be wrong.... you could try cleaning though and see if that helps...