Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Graphics Card/Driver

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Tru Techie

Tru Techie

• PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
K, my problem in full.

In the beginning, my aunt wanted a laptop so we bought one from gateway, but it came with Windows Xp home with so many trial stuffs on it, so i installed Windows XP pro onto it, it was clean no crap on it. so first problem arose with speakers, i had to install the driver from the gateway cd, so i did. now the Display adapter is not visible in Device manager. i went to intels website and downloaded the newest driver for Intel Embedded 855 Graphics Controller and when i tried to install it said something about an Internal Software error and install exited. So i tried to install from the cd but it failed, im guessing cause it was for XP home. so now im lost and have no clue what to do ( btw the one i got from intels website was for xp pro. oh and i need a driver for the Intel 82852/82855 GM/GME Graphics controller, im guessing its for the D-Sub port on the back.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
did you buy this version of xp pro for her computer? or did you use one you already had? is it installed on another computer as well?

Tru Techie

Tru Techie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
no its not, and it doenst come with the intel embedded driver, its just an empty xp pro

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
eh?...just an extra xp pro cd lying around?

Tru Techie

Tru Techie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
well.......as u can see from what i said, its clearly a torrent. because she cant really afford a $300 operating system ( canada).

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
well...there you go...that's what i was wanting to know

#1 we don't support P2P
#2 we don't support piracy

so you've faulted yourself on two accounts...

you also went about removing the trial software in the worst way possible...if the HP came with recovery disks...then use them to restore the computer back to factory defaults..if not...contact hp for these disks..or find out if the laptop has a recovery partition (hopefully you didn't format it)...if it's got the recovery partition use the hotkey's during boot to do a destructive recovery (should be ctrl f10 or f11)..then uninstall the trial software the right way...instead of using a bazooka to kill a fly..