Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ethernet Port

• Please log in to reply

Hello_Moto

Hello_Moto

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Hi Guys,

Currentl, my internet connection is a USB ADSL modem but I have just upgraded my package so I am now getting a wireless live box modem which needs to connect to the pc through the ethernet port. Problem is, my linux machine is connected to my XP box through that port. Is there any way that I can still connect the linux machine to the XP box and have the internet connection connected too ??

Can I get a 2 into 1 ethernet connection ? Or do I need to fit another card into the XP box ??

ANy thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

H_M

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
have you already ordered the modem? is it a modem/router? as in a modem with a built in router (if it's wireless...it kind of has to be)...do you know how many ethernet ports are on the modem? maybe a make and model of the device?

Hello_Moto

Hello_Moto

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
hi dsenette and thank you for your reply.

I get the modem for free because I've upgraded my package to a higher speed so I don't actually know the specification of it (i have to confess, I really don't know anything about them, was a fluke to get linux and xp working together :whistling: ) and was really just trying to think ahead so I can have both machines connected when my new modem arrives. If it does have an ethernet port, can I connect the linux both directly to it even if it's a wireless box ??

Thanks again, and apologies for my lack of knowledge (and stupid questions!)

MOLEXRULZ

MOLEXRULZ

• PipPipPip
  • 346 posts
Yo can use internet connection sharing with windows and add a second NIC

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
IN THEORY...this modem/router is going to have more than one ethernet port...which means that you'll be able to hook both machines to the router and not go through the agony of having a dual nic system

Hello_Moto

Hello_Moto

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Thanks guys - much appreciated.