Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

downloading music

• Please log in to reply

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

The difference is between a recovery CD and an XP CD, the XP CD will run a repair install

I realize that, but all I can find is the original XP cd that came with the computer bundle. This was once an office computer, so I don't know what all was in it when it was new.

So if I put the original XP cd in, there is just an option for repair? Seems like I tried that and I got 4 options, one being install windows, another to check compatability etc. I did not see repair, but will try again.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This is the CD you are looking for Home or professional

http://download.micr..._XP_FULL_CD.jpg

This is the repair guide for use with an XP CD

You can use this guide to repair XP

Possibly, you will need to press the start button and keep tapping the delete key, (possibly F2) until the PC enters set up. Change the boot order to CD ROM Drive then hard drive, press F10 then press enter, load the XP CD then type Y then press enter, as it reboots, look for press any key to load from CD, press enter

You will need the XP product key to complete this

If you have audio / video files which are subject to DRM you should check with the provider for known issues with performing an XP repair install

XP Repair Install

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
I have the professional version, and I found the product key, so I will give it a shot tommorrow. Does this version have different instructions?

And thanks!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The repair guide works with both editions of XP

If you see anything onscreen which is different to the guide, post back

Hope it goes well

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
Well Keith....It sounded simple enough, but I put the XP CD in my computer and turned it off and back on like the instructions said. It did nothing but open up like it normally does. I never got the blue screen to choose any of the choices.
However, at the start menu in my list of programs there appearred a black command prompt which opened up a black command window that had C:\Documents and settings\customer> then the blinking cursor.

I did nothing further because I didn't want to mess things up. Why didn't it open with the blue screen for me?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you say where it differed from this

You started the PC

It said press any key to load from CD

You pressed enter

It loaded lots and lots then showed you the screen with the license agreement

You pressed F8

You pressed R to repair

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
It just opened like it normally did...like the CD wasn't even in there. I never saw a place where it gave me the option to 'press any key", and of course I was waiting for intructions from it.
All I could get from that CD was "welcome to windows, what do you want windows to do", and listed options for install, run updates, etc. For the heck of it I tried the install, but it didn't work because I already had a more updated version. Didn't want to restore without asking first, as I don't want to erase my information.

My XP booklet says to start backup or to access Restore and automatic system recovery, click start, all programs, accessories, system tools, backup. I am hesitant because I was told not to choose the restore feature, but isn't the automatic system recovery what I want?

This computer was once set up for different users at one time, although by updates does not prompt me to enter what user i am anymore. Don't know if that makes any difference in how this opens or not?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This is probably the missing bit

Possibly, you will need to press the start button and keep tapping the delete key, (possibly F2) until the PC enters set up. Change the boot order to CD ROM Drive then hard drive, press F10 then press enter, load the XP CD then type Y then press enter, as it reboots, look for press any key to load from CD, press enter

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
Good morning Keith! Do you ever sleep? :blink: I will give that a try, although it sounds a little scary. I'm afraid of getting my computer to a point where it wil only open on safe mode by messing around with the prompts.
Guess I will give it a shot. :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Nothing there that isn't reversible, in fact when a PC is set to boot from the CD first, only an XP CD or other bootable CD's will have any effect

Make sure you see the option to repair, that's the only thing of interest

Advertisements

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
I did as you said, tapping delete key but instead of getting the setup page I wanted I got this..
Ambios Simple Setup Utility ver. 2.3, and it had a whole list of choices, none of which said repair so I backed out. First choice was bios features setup, chipset setup, features setup. ???
Don't know how to proceed. :whistling:

My2Cents

My2Cents

• PipPip
  • 45 posts

I did as you said, tapping delete key but instead of getting the setup page I wanted I got this..
Ambios Simple Setup Utility ver. 2.3, and it had a whole list of choices, none of which said repair so I backed out. First choice was bios features setup, chipset setup, features setup. ???
Don't know how to proceed. :whistling:

sorry mised it ,just notived you are still trying to set boot sequence
you will not find repair in the bios ,when in bios go to the second one in the left side list and change the boot order there ,personally i think you need a friend who knows a bit about computers to be with you to help you with this

Edited by My2Cents, 28 June 2006 - 01:50 PM.

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
One more question about this since I don't live near any larger towns that would have available computer help come to my house.
I know I need help to reach that blue XP setup window, but in Googling this problem I found a suggestion I wondered about.
Since I can't update or upgrade using my original XP CD since my computer has a more upgraded version already, is it possible to go to add/remove programs and remove the XP service pack 2 or updates then insert my original CD? Would I then able to run the XP CD and finally replace the missing files, or would I just be back where I am now?
I did find reference to making your own CD that bypasses the "you already have a more updated version" window you get when you try to install the XP cd, but I can't use Nero to burn, that is my whole problem. When I open Nero It says I" have a missing DLL file, Nero found an error and has to close " notice.
You have been very patient with me on this problem and I appreciate it! I am loath to give up trying on my own to fix it because I have a new digital camera and won't be able to put pictures on a CD with it the way it is now. :whistling: So I'm asking again one more time!

My2Cents

My2Cents

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
why not just format and reinstall winxp !!saves a lot of problems ,start fresh

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You are trying to repair XP, not install it, so check the guide again