Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

no start button or shortcuts, only wallpaper when computer opens

• Please log in to reply

l7zhang

l7zhang

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I'm having a major problem with my computer, whenever I open my computer the only thing that is shown is my wallpaper. I don't have the start button or any shortcuts as well I can't right click. The only function that I can do is ctlr+alt+delt which leads me to task manager. Did my computer encounter some kind of virus or something? Please help and let me know what I need to do to get my computer back to the way it was before. Thanks for all the help!

Advertisements

kunwon1

kunwon1

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
Did you make any hardware or software changes, even minor ones, recently?

What version of windows do you have?

Open the task manager and go to file>run and type explorer.exe into the box and hit enter. What happens?

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Hello and welcome to Geeks to Go!

Press Ctrl + Alt + Del Go to File > New Task (Run...) and type explorer.exe in the space provided. Press enter. Do your icons and start menu return?

And when you boot into Safe Mode, can you see your icons and start menu? (tap F8 while computer is turning on in order to get into Safe Mode)

l7zhang

l7zhang

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I think I installed a program onto my computer recently, I can't be sure though.

When I typed in "explorer.exe" as suggested, nothing happened, the start button and the shortcuts are still not visible.

As for the safe mode suggestion, the same still presist.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Did it give an error when you typed it (without the quotes) and pressed enter?

l7zhang

l7zhang

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
no error, nothing happens.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Type sfc /scannow then press enter

l7zhang

l7zhang

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
i typed in the sfc/scannow as suggested but it says that window cannot find it. Thanks for all the help so far!

Nikul

Nikul

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
Make sure u put a space in "sfc /scannow" minus the quotes.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
If the sfc /scannow thing doesn't work, do #1. If #1 doesn't work, try #2:

1. Press Ctrl + Alt + Del Go to File > New Task (Run...) and typechkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

Windows will appear to load normally, then the monitor will show progress of the scan, rather than going to Windows. Do not disturb this. This will take an hour or so before it gets to the desktop.

2. Repair Windows XP. You will need an XP CD in order to do this. If you're not sure how to do a repair, check out the following link: http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

If you have problems, here is an alternate way to repair XP:

Alternate XP Repair Method

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system. After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates and possibly your video card driver.

Microsoft Update