Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help installing Windows Media Player 11

• Please log in to reply

nashville-bound

nashville-bound

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
I'm running Windows XP and already have WMP 10. I have tried to install WMP 11 3 times and each time it says DRM Mgrate EXE has encountered a problem and needs to close. I aslo get the same message for MLS Dbexport DLL. Then its says its not installed and try again. Can anyone help?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Run through this then try to install it

Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot. You should disable the antivirus programme to run this

Check the anti virus is running after the reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

Media Player 11 Beta

nashville-bound

nashville-bound

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Keith, I'm having a bit of trouble. While I tried to install Tune Up my computer crashed. I got a message saying I needed to run the LiveUpdate Utility which I did. I rebooted and tried again. It still crashed.

Edited by nashville-bound, 20 June 2006 - 05:26 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Norton?

If you have downloaded Tune Up, click start then run, type msconfig then press enter, click start up, click disable all, click apply and reboot

Tick do not start the configuration utility when windows loads

Install Tune Up and run it

When you have done that, click start then run, type msconfig and press enter, put the dot in normal start up, click apply and reboot

Check the firewall and anti virus programmes are running

nashville-bound

nashville-bound

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Okay it crashed again after I followed your instructions and tried to install Tune Up. Should I allow everything to run at startup or should I run msconfig again? I have no idea whats going on here. My computer has never crashed. And to answer your question I think it was Symantec Live Update.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Run msconfig, put the dot in normal start up, click apply and reboot

You can use this guide to repair XP

Possibly, you will need to press the start button and keep tapping the delete key, (possibly F2) until the PC enters set up. Change the boot order to CD ROM Drive then hard drive, press F10 then press enter, load the XP CD then type Y then press enter, as it reboots, look for press any key to load from CD, press enter

You will need the XP product key to complete this

If you have audio / video files which are subject to DRM you should check with the provider for known issues with performing an XP repair install

XP Repair Install

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

nashville-bound

nashville-bound

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Where do i find the product key?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It is supposed to be on the PC Tower

25 alpha numeric characters

nashville-bound

nashville-bound

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
I just found it! Thanks! I will do the above steps and get back to you :whistling:

nashville-bound

nashville-bound

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Keith, I repaired XP and installed all the updates. I then tried to install Service Pack 2 and had some trouble. It would download to 33% and then just stop. I tried this several times with the same result. In the meantime I ordered the SP2 CD just in case I can't install it through the website. What shoould be my next step?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Are you able to install tune up, or anything?

nashville-bound

nashville-bound

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
I will try to install Tune Up now :whistling:

nashville-bound

nashville-bound

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
It crashed again! This time a blue screen popped up and said "A problem has been detected ans Windows has been shut down to protect your computer". :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Download Memtest

Run it overnight if possible

Using Memtest

nashville-bound

nashville-bound

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Okay...its 11 am here...will run it tonight. Thanks!