Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

FTP Help!

• Please log in to reply

Xarcara

Xarcara

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
OK im trying to set up a ftp site so i can share game patches server updates with friends, but while ican connect to the ftp site noone else can any suggestions or help would be most appriciated. Im using the windows xp FTP service, have widows fully updated with service pack 2

thanks

Xarcara

Advertisements

TaNkZ101

TaNkZ101

• PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
Hi there,

1) what server are you using
2) Are you sure you checked the Permissions/CHMOD?
3) Do you want them to connect via Your FTP account, or a browser (so a directory of files appears)? Or, do you want to allow anonymous FTP access?

Xarcara

Xarcara

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
1) im tryin to use the window IIS server
2) proably but honestly im not sure what your talking about :whistling:
3) browser would be best proably just for friends and i dont think any of them have a ftp program and yes i want to allow anon access at least at first

thanks for the response

TaNkZ101

TaNkZ101

• PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
2):every file, folder/directory on a server has this. the file/directory permsission tells the server who can view, edit, and execute the file/directory. i think on windows server it's labeld as read/write/execute; each has either a number or checkbox. depending on the ftp program, when u right click a folder or directory, there should be a dialog box of the name Properties, permissions, CHMOD, or something simiiliar. somebody else with more experience in server set up should explain the rest to u, since i'm not sure myslelf

Attached Thumbnails

• untitled.PNG

Xarcara

Xarcara

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
that was actually quite helpful still havent solved the root problem though

but thanks for that

Edited by Xarcara, 21 June 2006 - 07:07 PM.