Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Out Of Memory

• Please log in to reply

psycopitts

psycopitts

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My computer has started putting an icon on my task bar and it says that I am critically low on memory. I have deleted everything that I can to try and release enough memory to work on the computer. I have scanned, degragged, power cleaned and erased everything I can think of and it still us dangerously low. I have 20 GB of hard drive. Under the My Computer and then into C:/ it shows that my computers capacity is 19 GB and there is 18.7 GB used and 226 MB free. Under C:/ there is a file called _RESTORE which is type: FILE FOLDER, Location: C:/, Size 16.7 GB, Size on Disk 16.8 GB, it contains 17,389 files and 5 folders and is marked hidden, it is marked that it is not shared. The only files that I see under it are DISKFG.DAT, SRDISKID.DAT, VXDMON.CFG, VXDM0N.DAT and each of these are only a few KB. Is this file my problem, and what can I do to get my hard drive space back? <_<

Advertisements

Smokey

Smokey

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,423 posts
Are you sure it isn't telling you you are out of RAM? I think that is the problem.

psycopitts

psycopitts

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
No, it is not the RAM. It specifically tells me that it is the hard disk drive and that it is dangerously low.

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
Hi psycopitts
Welcome to geekstogo
yes you are right it is the space on your hard drive not your ram you need so much hard drive space to run your windows swap files so with only 226 could be low depending on what programs your runnning where is this file just in c:/ or is it in c:/ windows\system32 the only restore file I can find on my system running windows Xp is RESTORE in C:/windows\sytem32 at 512 kb with 6 files. have you install any program that did not come on your system that we should know about like games ? do you down any down loading of songs video, ect.?
Thank you
<_<