Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

measuring temperature

• Please log in to reply

okeee

okeee

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
How can the temperature of the pc be measured, for overheating?

for this pc:

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ OEM S939
Spire CPU Cooler S754/939 tot 4800+
Asus A8N-E
Antec Sonata II EC/MT 450Watt
Kingston ValueRam 2x512Mb 400 PC3200 CL3
XFX GF 7800GT 256MB Extreme 2dvi vivo PCI-E
WD SATA II 160Gb 8Mb 7200rpm
IDE hd master
IDE hd slave

what temperature should the pc be around?

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Download speedfan. You should be able to tell which ones are what. My athlon 2400 shows the first temp as-48° so i just unchecked it so i dont see it. It might be a bad sensor or just no sensor where speedfan thinks there should be one. My cpu is at 43° and my motherboard is at 39°. I have a third temp for the HD and its at 27°. These are in the range most need to be. Some run cooler and some run hotter. If speedfan says its running at 60° thats a little too warm. You can get by at that temp but i could'nt stand it and would be tearing things apart to redo them( like regrease the contact between the heatsink and cpu).

SRX660

okeee

okeee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
when should I measure the temperature of the pc?

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
When you startup speedfan it sits in your system tray. At any time you can just go down to the tray and place the curser on the temp there. If you have balloon tips running in XP speedfan will give you the temps you have checked in it. I would check it quite a few times while you are doing things with the computer. Just a quick drop down to the tray to see what the temp is. Most games take over the desktop so usually this is not possible when playing a game.

SRX660

okeee

okeee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
I would like to measure when the temperature is at highest point. How can I do this?

okeee

okeee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
I would like to measure when the temperature is at highest point. How can I do this?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
you could run speedfan for a full 24 hours and sit there and watch it and see how high the temp gets....or you could just take a reading every 30 min...or 60 min....or take a reading when you're working the computer the hardest..

okeee

okeee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
When will the computer work the hardest?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
uh....i really don't want be rude...and i don't mean this to sound rude....
but when do you think the pc would be working the hardest?

okeee

okeee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
I don't know. When a disc is burned, game, using as many programs as possible?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
going in the right driection...if use increases the heat on the processor...then..one would assume it would be hottest when it's under the most use right?

okeee

okeee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
When is the most use of processor?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
(don't know if you have noticed or not but i'm trying to get you to think for yourself on this one)....it's not a hard concept...i would imagine that the time your processor is being used the most is when you're doing the most things...or the most processor intensive things....it's...well kind of common sense

okeee

okeee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
When is the most use of processor :when a disc is burned/ game/ using as many programs as possible/other ?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
i'm not trying to be a jerk here...i'm really not...but do you really expect us to spoon feed you this information? it's a simple concept...whenever the computer is doing the most (whatever that means) is when the processer is working the hardest and creates the highest temps....you could google "benchmarking software" or something like that...