Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

LOCKED OUT i'm new at this (urgent help needed)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
:whistling: I started having computer problems just over a month ago it was the computer screen freezing while playing games and signing on to the net then i had an infinite loop error and after that stop errors i don't know alot about the programs that run the computer so a friend said they could fix it so i let them look at it but after that i had a countdown to windows which didn't understand as my windows xp came preinstalled with my DELL i wasn't well during this time so i was to late to reactivate windows so they put in another version of windows xp that was for a medion computer now mine think it medion and not a dell now i can't use it as it want to register windows as you log on so i can't get to the desktop icons so i can't get online i have to everything in safemode i have tried to reformat the drive but it won't let me thats another error is there anything i can do to put all this right and get back to using my dell as i have borrowed the computer that i am using now please help ( urgently ) as i have to give this one back soon thank you

Advertisements

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
turn computer off then turn on then start tapping f8.....youll be going into safe mode....then go to start

then control panel .......clik on user account ....you can create new account ......then restart

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Interesting pickle... :whistling:

Open "Local Disk C:" in My Computer. List any folders you see with "Windows" or "WINNT" in their names.

Then Open Control Panel and double click on the "System" icon. Under the "Advanced" tab, in the Startup and Recovery section, click on the "Settings" button. Click on the "Edit" button. Copy the text in the notepad window that opens (boot.ini) and paste it here for me.

wannabe1

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Hi wannabe 1
Thanks for answering i hope this is right Boot note [Boot loader] time out= 5 default= multi (0)disk(0)partition(2)windows(operating systems) multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partation(2)\windows="microsoft windows xp home edition" /fastdetect /noexecute=optin that it hope this helps thanks

Cheyenne 09

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The boot.ini appears to be ok...and it looks like you only have one installation of XP, albeit the wrong version.

Let's see if the recovery partition is still accessable. Restart the machine and when the Dell screen appears press and hold the Ctrl key on the keyboard, press the F11 key, then release them both at the same time. The "Dell PC Restore by Symantec" window should appear.

Click the "Restore" button (or press the Tab key to highlight Restore and press the Enter key). A caution message appears advising that all data will be lost.

Click the "Confirm" button (or press the Tab key to highlight Confirm and press the Enter key). The Progress window appears. Once the process is begun, Dell PC Restore usually takes only 8 to 10 minutes to complete.
When the restore is complete, the message The system recovery process was successful appears.

Click the "Finish" button (or press the Tab key to highlight Finish and press the Enter key). The computer will restart.

If this partition was not overwritten by the previous install, your software should now be as it was when the machine was purchased.

Let me know what you find...

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

The boot.ini appears to be ok...and it looks like you only have one installation of XP, albeit the wrong version.

Let's see if the recovery partition is still accessable. Restart the machine and when the Dell screen appears press and hold the Ctrl key on the keyboard, press the F11 key, then release them both at the same time. The "Dell PC Restore by Symantec" window should appear.

Click the "Restore" button (or press the Tab key to highlight Restore and press the Enter key). A caution message appears advising that all data will be lost.

Click the "Confirm" button (or press the Tab key to highlight Confirm and press the Enter key). The Progress window appears. Once the process is begun, Dell PC Restore usually takes only 8 to 10 minutes to complete.
When the restore is complete, the message The system recovery process was successful appears.

Click the "Finish" button (or press the Tab key to highlight Finish and press the Enter key). The computer will restart.

If this partition was not overwritten by the previous install, your software should now be as it was when the machine was purchased.

Let me know what you find...

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Hi wannabe1
Thanks for your reply i got your message this morning and went and tried it i can't get to the screen you want as i get a keyboard error an then the computer loads windows i tried pressing the keys at different times but still get the same or the mouse freezes and then it goe's to windows the version of windows that is their is newer than the preinstalled windows xp home edition so that wont let me reinstall iti hope this helps thanks again

Cheyenne 09

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I was afraid of that... :whistling:

What model Dell is this?...on the off-chance that there is a different key combination to start the recovery operation.

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Hi wannabe1
Thanks for sticking with me my model is an 8300 dell dimention i am waiting on Dell telling me if my video card is faultly as well due to the screen freezing and not being able to restart it is also still under warrenty until august do you know if the problem can be solved i hope this helps Thanks for your help again.

Cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Hi wannabe1
I haven't heard from you for a couple of days since i gave you the model number of my Dell does this make a difference i also have a question i have tried to refresh and reload my page but i can't can you tell me what i am doing wrong i hope to hear from you soon thanks again for all your help

Cheyenne 09

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you... :whistling:

Unfortunately, that model doesn't have a hidden recovery partition. About your best bet now is to contact Dell and have them send you the correct recovery cd set for your machine.

wannabe1

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you... :whistling:

Unfortunately, that model doesn't have a hidden recovery partition. About your best bet now is to contact Dell and have them send you the correct recovery cd set for your machine.

wannabe1

Hi wannabe1
Thanks for your help you've been great

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
To avoid the confusion being caused by 5 topics being replied to, I'm closing this topic. Please add your suggestions to the topic at the link below.

http://www.geekstogo...s...=119827&hl=