Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Pavilion 751n w/ GeForce 5200 (128 mb) won't start up

• Please log in to reply

aerostarlegacy

aerostarlegacy

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
I have a pc that I got at a yardsale, and it was working fine.
It's a P-4 1.8 Ghz with 512mb sdram. It is suppopsed to have on-board audio and video, but they don't work.
Stupid me, I thought that I knew so much about computers that I could reformat and still be ok.
NOT
I reinstalled (legally) XP Home and then I tried to find a driver for the nvidia card.
The website had a generic driver that I got, it sorta worked. Empire Earth II (the most graphics intensive game I have) ran with only a few blips.
ANYWAY-
It had been having some problems (something about a drawing error, it was fixable by reducing the acceleration.) Sometimes it would start up to the splash screen and then it would restart. (usually it did this once or twice) I could then increase the acceleration all the way and enable write combining, and it would be fine for about five startups, then I would have to reduce it again.
Just recently, it wasnt' even posting. It would turn on and just sit there like a dead elephant. I thought that it might be the graphics card, but no.
I tested the graphics card in another machine (celeron 500 Mhz old school type with fedora core 10), it was recognized and worked fine.
It took me a while to figure out how to clear the cmos, but I did it, and it didn't help a lot. It now shows an error message
"NTLDR is missing
press ctrl+alt+delete to reboot"
I do that, and it just shows the graphics card bios, then goes into the same error message.

I got it for $7, so just the ram is worth that, but it would be nice to have it working.
Thanks,

Aerodude

Advertisements

fnark

fnark

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
There are a number of things that could be causing problems. Firstly you say it has onboard gfx and sound, there should be some settings in the bios as to whether or not they are enabled or not. It may be that you are getting gfx problems due to a conflict with the onboard video, check in the device manager to see if its reporting anything. The other thing is the drivers, i have found that with nvidia cards you may need to go through several different driver versions until you find the one that works for your system.
Also, how did you clear the CMOS, as there is a lot of bad advice about doing it on the internet.

aerostarlegacy

aerostarlegacy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
The computer won't start up, so i can't check the device manager (is it program?) There is a setting in the BIOS to enable onboard video, but none for audio. I could only find one version of the driver. I cleared the CMOS by removing the battery, as I found no jumpers to do so, and I couldn't get into the BIOS to load the defaults.

fnark

fnark

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
Device manager is something included with windows, you can access it by right clicking on my computer, properties, go to hardware and click device manager, but you obviously cant do that if it wont boot.
Apart from that im not sure whats going on, but this website might be useful.Clickified!
I also happen to know that when i installed my new video card on my old mobo that had onboard graphics, I had to disable onboard graphics in the BIOS, however that wouldnt give the errors you are getting. Also try doing a google search for drivers or check out on a forum what people think the best drivers are for your card, i have a 5200 and i think im using 81.xx drivers, but im not on my PC atm so i cant check. Sorry i cant help more.

Edited by fnark, 22 June 2006 - 02:38 AM.

aerostarlegacy

aerostarlegacy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
That wabsite was super helpful! Thank you so much.
It is now installing XP (again).
yay!