Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NT server log in problem.

• Please log in to reply

MaMister

MaMister

• PipPip
  • 96 posts
I used to log in to our nt server as N/A and password N/A (I am using winxp pro), I wanted to change to another name So I go to user management in NT machine and delete user and add new user The same goes to my machine, I change my account name

The problem now is that even I log in as with the password (XP start up), whenever I need to access to the files and folders on the server I have to key in one more time userid and password as it pop up a screen.

This never happens before, please advise.

Thanks.

I have edited parts of your post because the account name and password are not essential to providing an answer, and you should not post those on a public forum

Edited by Keith, 21 June 2006 - 04:29 AM.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
i do not understand what you mean--log on to server? Do you mean access a share or are you logging on remotely using some sort of third party utility

MaMister

MaMister

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

i do not understand what you mean--log on to server? Do you mean access a share or are you logging on remotely using some sort of third party utility

Thanks for the reply,

yes, I mean accessing to a folder on the server, now I have to key in another time my userid and password inorder to get access.

I thought if I log in correctly at winxp startup, this shouldn't happen?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
when you removed your user account, then added it again, you did not create the same user account

All user and computer accounts, in addition to having a friendly "name" like Comp1 and JohnH also have a long alphanumeric string associated with it. When you created the new account, even though you used the same name, you get a new alphanumeric string (aka guid)

you're getting asked again and again for the username and password because according to Windows, you are not the same person.

You cannot recreate this guid. Instead, create a new user account and password and grant access to the share for this new account

MaMister

MaMister

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
Thks for your help. Will try it out.