Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building My First Computer from Newegg parts

• Please log in to reply

MyDesiredDisplayNameIsTaken

MyDesiredDisplayNameIsTaken

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Please Help me, as the title says, this is my first time buying a computer. Really all I am doing with it is downloading music and movies in addition to storing and viewing these. That's about it as far as major processes. Here is what I think is my finished selection of products. (Please If you have any suggestions post them)

CD/DVD Burners (RW Drives)
NEC 16X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE/ATAPI Model ND-3550A - OEM
Model #: ND-3550A BK OEM
Item #: N82E16827152058

ATX Computer Cases
ASPIRE X-Navigator ATXA9N-BK/500 Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case ATX 500W dual fan w/ automatic fan speed control. Connector 20 + 4 pin Power Supply - Retail
Model #: ATXA9N-BK/500
Item #: N82E16811144164

Internal Hard Drives
Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600JS 160GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
Model #: WD1600JS
Item #: N82E16822144415

Monitors - LCD
Rosewill R913J Black-Gray 19" 8ms LCD Monitor, DVI - Retail
Model #: R913J
Item #: N82E16824021025

Memory - System
A-DATA V-Series 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered System Memory Model VDBGC1A16 - OEM
Model #: VDBGC1A16
Item #: N82E16820211130

(combo Processor and Motherboard)
Processor
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice 2000MHz HT Socket 939 Processor Model ADA3500BPBOX - Retail
Model #: ADA3500BPBOX
Item #: N82E16819103533

Motherboard
ASUS A8R-MVP Socket 939 ATI Radeon XPRESS 200 CrossFire ATX AMD CrossFire Motherboard - Retail
Model #: A8R-MVP
Item #: N82E16813131584
-------------------------------
Thanks

Advertisements

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
Hello, welcome to geeks to go
Putting your post into the system and upgrading forum might see you have more replies next time.

160 gig doesnt last long these days (not for me anyway)
i have 80g sata primary, 120 gig sata secondary and they are full aready, mostly games music and movies that im working on.
With the editing software and others, not much room to move.
Others may disagree.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
If your really into songs i would not have a computer that did not have at least a Creative Audigy sound card. Much better sound than the on-board sound on MB's. Creative PlayCenter rocks, also. One of the best rippers i've used. I agree that HD space is needed. I have 50 gigs of music(10,000 MP3 songs) and over 100 gigs of video so a second storage drive or a larger main drive would be advisable. My latest build has 160 gig and 250 gig sata drives.

SRX660

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah bigger HD is probably needed ive filled my 200Gb lots of times in the last year. I will probably get a second 320 or 250 for more movies i tend to horde them.

Cant say im ever to fussed about sound cards never a priority, if you have cash spare get one but its not something to lose sleep over unless you take the time and money and get a properly set up sound system wiht good speakers you wont notice the difference really. If you have good sound setup then a sound card becomes more neccesary.

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
also if you rnot doing anything extensive or playing games then
maybe you could get away with only 512mb of RAM i not this isnt much but if your not doing much with the pc then maybe you could save yourself some money and put it towards a bigger hard drive

also you dont need a crossfire board which as 2 pci-express slots unless you are planning on getting 2 video cards which you will not need for what you are doing

plus you havent listed a grahics card
just some thoughts,

troppo