Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC wont start. Disk failure

• Please log in to reply

drlovemoose

drlovemoose

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
My PC was running fine until I decided to add a 2nd cd/dvd rom. Once I installed it XP detected it but both roms were under one very weird. Next time I tried to start the PC I got a message saying "Disk boot failure, Insert system disk press enter" This is a new hard drive. It checked the cd-roms the A: drive but no luck with HD. I went into boot sequence and it says PRIMARY MASTER... NONE
seems like the PC does not even see the HD. Please help

Advertisements

IO-error

IO-error

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
Both disks were seen as 1 disk?

Did you try to install the disks as a RAID?
That can only be done with 2 (or more) clean disks.

Did you check on the cables?
The cables have to be plugged in correctly and not with light force. PUSH THEM DARNED CABLES IN THAT PIECE OF ****! :whistling:
You get the point, the cables have to be plugged in with medium force.

It could also be that the second disk was wrong.
Take it out and see if the system boots normally again.
If it does, take the disk back to the store for warranty and explain what happened.

If the pc still doesn't boot, take the complete pc, including both disks to the store and make a warranty claim.

If tests show that it's their hardware that screwed your pc up, warranty will pay you back your harddisk. But probably not the rest of the hardware, because you installed it manually, right?

Good luck, I hope this helped you.

RichP

RichP

• PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
I hope you don't mind me jumping in, but I read this differently.

When you added your DVD drive, did you set the jumper on the back of the drive to slave? Did you check the original drive was set to master?

Have you checked the jumper settings on your new hard drive? Is it SATA or IDE?

IO-error

IO-error

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
Whoops, sorry, I thought he wrote he added a second harddisk.
Man, sorry :whistling:

Well, the tips stay the same, check the cables.
It might be that the plug inserted, but that two pins aren't connected.
Did you try with different cables?
And is your PSU (Power Supply) strong enough to give power to the new drive?

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
Make sure the CD is not on the same IDE channel as the hard drive. Also make sure the second CD was set as SLAVE and that both CDs were not set to MASTER. Lastly, check to see f you may have lossened the IDE cable to your HD.

drlovemoose

drlovemoose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
I checked all the cables and everything seems fine. I am a little confused when you are saying slave or master on the cd rom's. Can you explain a bit better thanks. But when I unplugged all the cd roms and the A: drive out it still didnt see the hard drive.

drlovemoose

drlovemoose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
Ok I am came to the conclusion that when I plug in any one of the cd roms with the master or slave I get the boot disk failure. When I unplug the cd roms I get an error saying that some file in windows is missing but the BIOS does recognize the hard drive. I cannot run the cd because whne I plug it in the PC will not recognize the HD. What can I do?

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
On the CD there are 8 pins (4 pair) to the left of the IDE cable (the flat grey one). You set these pin to tell your computer where it should be on the IDE channel. Master is the first drive. One your primary channel Master is always C: drive. You should never put anything but a second hard drive on the Primary IDE channel as SLAVE. IF you put a CD, ZIP, LS120, or other drive\device on the Primary chennal your preformance will suffer. On the Secondary IDE channel you should place both of your CD\DVD devices. The first one should be set to Master. The second should be set to SLAVE or Cable Select. On the top of your CD\DVD you should have a diagram explainning how to set the jumper pins.
Usually the first two pins (one on top of the other) to the left are MASTER, the second set are SLAVE, and the third are Cable Select. The last pair are reserved for the factory.
I provided a link to help, but you should use the jumper setting provided with your CD\DVD.

http://images.google...t...ficial&sa=N

Edited by acklan, 21 June 2006 - 07:10 AM.