Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet doesn't work on laptop only at my house

• Please log in to reply

Shilpa1125

Shilpa1125

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have a laptop that I've had for a while. A long time ago, my laptop used to work at my house. I went to school and it still worked at my house. Recently, like in the past six months or so, everytime I came home, my laptop no longer worked at my house. Everytime I go back to school it works there. It also works at my friend's house on his wireless connection. But for some reason, I can't get it to work on my house line. I have Roadrunner, and I'm trying to connect it to the internet cord that is connected to the computer I'm using as I type this. So there's nothing wrong with the internet line because it works for this computer. And there's nothing wrong with my computer because it works everywhere else. But there's something wrong when I try to mix the two and I can't figure out what that is. I'd appreciate any help!

Thanks,

Shilpa

Advertisements

Shilpa1125

Shilpa1125

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Anyone? Please, I really need help! I think it has something to do with my IP address. If it helps, I'm using Roadrunner at my house. I did IP config and all the information on my house computer is really different than the one on my laptop.

Thanks

Shilpa

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hi Shilpa,

Please connect the "working" computer to the router, and then do the following -- goto Start --> Run --> type CMD and press OK --> then type: IPCONFIG /ALL - please post the results here by right-clicking on the Command Prompt window, selecting 'Select All', pressing the Enter key, and then posting on this forum. Alternately, you can save your information to a text file by using the following command: IPCONFIG /ALL > C:\ipconfig.txt -- navigate to that text file, and copy/paste the information from it.

Now, connect your laptop to the router via an Ethernet cable, and then repeat the above steps; if you're unable to get a connection to the Internet, and don't feel like typing out all of that information, please just post the following details: IP Address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway, DNS Server(s), Autoconfiguration Enabled (Yes or No).

Once done, connect your laptop directly to the modem and then attempt to connect to the Internet; are you able to?

Once I get the above details, we'll be able to move on :whistling:

Shilpa1125

Shilpa1125

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the reply...
This is from the working computer:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Shilpa>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Agraharkar
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : houston.rr.com

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : houston.rr.com
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel® PRO/100 VE Network Connecti
on
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-11-11-E1-B1-02
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 24.167.62.246
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.248.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 24.167.56.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.59.224.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 24.93.41.125
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, June 27, 2006 10:46:34 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, June 28, 2006 10:46:34 AM

This is from my laptop connected to the ethernet cable:

IP address: 169.254.68.75
Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway: (blank)
DNS server: (I have nothing that says DNS server, but the connection-specific DNS suffix description is Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller)
Autoconfiguration Enabled: Yes

And, when I connected it directly to the modem, it still didn't work. The same thing happened...it said acquiring network address for a long time, and then said this system has limited or no connectivity.

Thanks,

Shilpa

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Are you sure the device you're using to connect your computer(s) to the modem is actually a router? I only ask as the IP being assigned to the working computer is not a Private IP, but rather a public IP. Generally speaking, a router will assign an IP within the range 198.*, 172.* or 10.* unless specifically altered. Along with this, the Default Gateway is addressed to an IP more commonly associated with a modem. Your current setup is: Computer(s) --> Device (Router?) --> Modem; correct? On the "device", there should be a make/model name/number located some-where on the actual hardware; please post this information in your next reply.

I'm sorry that we aren't exactly making progress as of yet, however I need to clear a few things up first.. This may not be an issue with your laptop, but rather with your current configuration, and so I don't wish to fiddle around with your laptops settings until we clear a few things up.

Edited by Dan G, 30 June 2006 - 06:42 AM.

Shilpa1125

Shilpa1125

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I'm pretty sure it is a router because the computer isn't even located near it. Someone installed it years ago and set up wires to go through the walls to get from downstairs to the router. But, here's the information for it: Linksys Etherfast Cable/ DSL router BEFSR41. And the current configuration is computer-->router-->modem.

Thanks,

Shilpa

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Okay, that's definitely a router :whistling: I'm still a little skeptical about your current IP schema, and I have a feeling that this could definitely be contributing to the problem at hand. The inconsistancy that I see is that your DHCP Server is assigned to 10.59.224.1, which is fine as it's a 10.* address. However all of your other details fail to follow this format. Your IP Address and Default Gateway should both start with 10.* according to your DHCP Server.. Personally, I'd suggest that you attempt to re-setup your network by following the steps listed in SpaceCowboy's Networking Tutorial -- if you decide to follow these steps (which I believe would be a good idea), please let me know.

If you do not wish to re-setup your network, then please do the following --

Disconnect the "working" computer from the router (unplug the Ethernet cable). Once done, connect your Laptop to the router via the same Ethernet cable. Now (on the laptop), goto Start --> Programs --> Accessories --> Communications --> Network Connections --> Right click on your Local Area Connection --> Select Properties --> Click on Internet Protocl (TCP/IP) once and press the Properties button --> Select the option Use the following IP Address: --> Enter in the IP Address [24.167.62.246], Subnet Mask [255.255.248.0] and Default Gateway [24.167.56.1] --> Now select Use the following DNS Servers --> Enter in these two DNS Servers [24.93.41.125 and 24.93.41.126] --> Press OK. Once done, press OK and then attempt to connect to the Internet; are you able to?

If you still cannot connect, then retun your settings to Obtain an IP Address automatically and Obtain DNS Server address automatically and reboot your computer.

Shilpa1125

Shilpa1125

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Well, I don't want to re-setup my network because I'm worried about doing something wrong and all the computers being without internet. So, I did the other steps you gave me. It still didn't connect to the internet, but this time when I plugged in my ethernet cable, it didn't say that my computer has low or no connectivity. It said it was connected, but it didn't let me access the internet.

Thanks,

Shilpa

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Well, I'm afraid to say Shilpa that this is almost certainly an issue with your network configuration, rather than your laptop. In an online environment, any further suggestions I'd make would simply be blind guesses in the hopes that we'd hit on the issue. As suggested earlier, I think it would be a good idea to re-setup your network so that at the very least, we'll know what we're dealing with. I'll be more than happy to post the steps for you to follow so that you can setup your network, and the tutorial that I'll have you follow is very thorough and straight-forward; you really shouldn't run into any issues. Many users have used this tutorial without any problems -- I see no reason why you'll be any different. But, it's entirely up to you. Please let me know if you wish to give it a go.