Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

GPU Core getting hot and graphic lock up

• Please log in to reply

ethereal

ethereal

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
While playing games, namely World of Warcraft, my GPU Core will overheat and cause a lock up. I cant figure out why this is happening as it just started recently and I havent changed anything about my system for a long time. Is there any thing I can do to stop my card from overheating short of having to buy a whole new one?

Advertisements

cheathawk1

cheathawk1

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
First, the obvious, just to cover all bases: Is the room your running the computer in hot? Are there any fans inside the computer that may not be working, or not running as fast as they should be? (this includes any fans on the motherboard, case, and video card itself). Is any other part of the computer overheating, that may be trnsfering its heat to your GPU?

Does this only happen when your playing CPU intensive games? If so, check your CPU, it may be that that is causing the lockup, not the GPU.

Is there ANYTHING different about the computer, the software, the atmosphere around the computer?

--Chris

rumble291

rumble291

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
Have you got the temps on both the GPU and CPU. Also do you overclock it as this produces more heat and if you overclock too high it can cause the GPU to lock up.

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
and if you havent chnaged anything ina while theni would suggest opening up the case and giving it a good clean out
you could use either compressed air from a can

or sometimes i just use a soft paint brush to clean the dust of all of the components mainly the heatsink, the fans and your video card

try that and see if that solves the cooling problem.

use everest to monitor your temps
its here
http://www.softpedia...e-Edition.shtml

that will tell you exactly how hot the thing is running

troppo

ethereal

ethereal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
The room I am running my PC in is not hot at all so I dont think that is the issue. I went and downloaded everest like troppo suggested and my chassis fan is at 5k and the CPU fan running at 4k. However I did notice that under the GPU tab in display it says the fan on my video card is only running at about 53%. I have not done any overclocking of my PC or Video card, in fact I even have my settings underclocked at the moment.

As far as temperatures go, this is what everest tells me:

Motherboard - 24C
CPU - 38C
CPU Diode - 52C
Ambient GPU Temperature - 43C
GPU Core Temperature - 75C (This is just at load)

I have already tried dusting the heatsinks and video card off and I even moved my sound card away from the video card but those tricks havent helped either.

rumble291

rumble291

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
yeah thats normal for the X700. Have you upgraded the drivers and catalyst center to the latest ones?

ethereal

ethereal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Sorry I have a GeForce 6800 GT and those drivers are up to date as well