Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Spoolsv.exe using too many resourses

• Please log in to reply

TheDaan

TheDaan

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi, I'm new to this forum, having found it while i was searching for solutions to my problem.
I did a search in the forum for this problem but i couldnt find it.
My problem is that for the past week or so, everytime i start my computer, spoolsv.exe also starts up, although i have no printers installed and uses 90-99% of my cpu, which makes everythign esle run incredibly slow. Now i close the task using taskmanager but it comes back and i have to close it 3-4 time before it stops starting up agian. However, when ever i restart my computer its back.
I was wondering if anyone here has anyidea of how to deal with this.

Thanks

Advertisements

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
If your not going to do any printing, you can disable the print spooler service. This will prevent spoolsv.exe from starting.....

TheDaan

TheDaan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Could you tell me how I would go about doing that.
Thanks

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
I just tried it on my W2000 box to make sure it works. Open both windows and you can watch it. Spoolsv.exe is in task manager so open task manager. The way i get to services is to right click on 'My Computer' and then click on 'manage'. Expand 'services and applications' by clicking on the + sign. Then click on services. The services will show up in the right pane. Find the 'print spooler' service and right click on it. Select disable. When you click disable or stop you will see the spoolsv.exe in task manager dissapear.

TheDaan

TheDaan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks alot. Stopping dosent work but disabling does. It does't run at startup now.