Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Northbridge chipset

• Please log in to reply

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
i just opened my case before and noticed that my North bridge chipset was extreamly hot like almost to the point were it burned me i could only leave my fingers there for no longer than about 2 seconds. i guess this is because of the overclocked front side bus? my fsb at the moment is at 216Mhz so 864Mhz effective.

i have sufficiant cooling: intake-80mm exhaust-120mm CPU and GPU heatsinks and fans
all in a centurion 5 case which the front is compleatly covered in mesh.

how hot should a chipset be able to get? are they that importnat that they need to be cooled well it has a huge heatsink on it at teh moment but i dont think it is doing a very good job. by the way my motherboard as in my sig is a gigabyte GA-8ipe775-G

i was considering changing the chipset with one that has a fan on it but i wasent quite sure on how to do this? is it similar to the way a grahics car heatsink and fan pushes through the board? with little pins that look like this:

/\
/ \
l l
l l

hope you know what i mean!

do they just pull out and pop back in?

i was considering this one because it has an adjustable fan on it
http://www.pccasegear.com/prod1350.htm
what do you think is this worth it?

a little guidance would be much appreciated
troppo

Advertisements

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
My northbridge is also extemly hot to touch, but the overall mobo and cpu temps are below average. I always thought this was normal.....

edit: no overclocking either... (800)

Edited by sarahw, 21 June 2006 - 08:49 AM.

Mitesh

Mitesh

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Same here my northbridge is hot to touch even though I never overclock, however this is fine with suficient cooling; as you can see my case has plenty of cooling however yours as you say only has 1 80mm intake. It is also god that you have a slightly negative pressure in this case as this keeps the hot air out (2x 120 mm outake +1 80 mm intake= slightly negative air pressure within the case (this is good)).

I see your northbridge is tilted this may cause problems if you have a low seated heatsink on the cpu so I reccommend before you buy a northbridge heatsink to check that the heatsink will fit on your mobo. The details of hight width etc are usually listed with the product however if not go over to the manufacturers website.

One very good one that I would recommend is this one provided you live in the UK dont know if its available in the USA:
http://www.dvhardwar...techMCX159.html

Note: This is only the review site where full details of the hight etc of the heatsink + fan is available as well as of course the review. Also note to get the Intel version if you do get this.

To remove the original nothbridge heatsink you will have to remove the motherboard well I have to on mine and yours looks very similar........ does it have white push pins with springs which do not come out if you push them down? If yes then yes you will have to remove the mobo.

The process of applying a heatsink is generally the same for GPU, CPU etc, I recommend using High purity isopropyl alcohol, and some cotton buds or lint free cloths. Dip the cotton bud in the alcol and clean off the excess old thermal paste off the northbridge chipset once the old heatsink is removed.
it should not be dripping only soaked in alchol. Now make sure you do not drip any outside of the chip itself as you may damage something.
Next follow the instructions supplied with the northbridge cooler.

The one you show is ok but I generally dont like thermaltake cooling even though their cases are nice! Zalman is one very good company.

Tell me if you need any more info.

troppo

troppo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
haha mitesh you were right of the mark there actually im from the land downunder!!! Australia!!

the cooler you showed me is good i have already seen it on the other website but the thing is its $69 AU
thats a bit much just for a cooler northbridge

i no that northbridge chips generally do get a bit hot but since i am overcloking i would prefer to keep it a bit cooler if i can. the thermaltake cooler i showed you comes with southbridge heatsinks aswell and a nice little pci fan speed controler. all for $22 AU so its a fair bit cheaper.

when removing the heatsink do you have to remove the board or can you just pull them out? like on a graphics card?
i only ask because the pins look pretty much the same.

thanks for youe help
troppo

Edited by troppo, 21 June 2006 - 05:17 PM.

Mitesh

Mitesh

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
remove the pins by removing mobo and when overclocking never spend cheaply, you just might regret it.

troppo

troppo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
ok well heres another question
what would be the best way to kind of "load" the chipset? does a cpu loading program do it? or only the CPU

i no it sounds like a stupid question but i was just wondering.

thanks for the help guys its much appreciated

troppo

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
Vantec sells a heatsink+fan combo:

Vantec Aluminum ICECHIP

Vantec Copper ICECHIP CCB-A1C

You might want to go with just a heatsink:

ZALMAN ZM-NB47J Aluminium NorthBridge Chipset Cooler

Or, if your board doesn't have mounting holes use thermal epoxy and:

COOLER MASTER SLC-S41-U1 40mm

troppo

troppo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
im pretty sure i need something with a fan because i already have a huge copper heatsink on the thing already from gigabyte (attached) and its not doing its job

and a problem is im from australia which means as far as online shopping goes is really limited :whistling:

can a VGA cooler (like just the heatsink and fan) be used as a chipset cooler? on a lot of sites that i have visited it seems to be a bit confussing maybe you could use them for both?

i will keep searching thanks for your suggestions

troppo

Attached Thumbnails

• Northbridge_chipset.JPG

Edited by troppo, 22 June 2006 - 07:14 PM.

troppo

troppo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
ok well i have had a bit of a look and this is what u have to choose from

http://www.pcca.com.au/crystalorb.html

or

http://www.pcca.com.au/orange.html

or

http://www.pcca.com.au/blue-orb.html im not sure of this can be used for a northbridge but it looks good with a RPM sensor on it

or

http://www.pccasegear.com/prod1350.htm

or theres the second version of the one above.

what do you think would be the best ones or one more specifically

alot of them are good but its a bit of a toss up weather to go for less noise and less cooling efficiancy or more noise and better efficiancy? i just dont no

your input and advice would be great

thank you
troppo

Mitesh

Mitesh

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Is Australia nuts about Thermaltake or something?
Anyone of them apart from the VGA cooler ARE SUITABLE.
And man if you want good cooling then have a look at the way the airflow is throught your system and if you really want to go extreme like myself which is what i plan to do then buy watercooling.

HaraldR

HaraldR

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
The cheaper alternative is mount a fan to existing heatsink,Ive done a few that way and it works a treat and only $5
(think I know that Gully shop)

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
Sorry to go off the topic troppo but...

Is Australia nuts about Thermaltake or something?

why what's wrong with 'em? i've only heard good reveiws...
there products are attractive and are always next generation.

troppo, I'd go with the specific "northbridge cooler" as long as it fits and has effient air flow. :whistling:

troppo

troppo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
well the thing with thermaltake is that they are really about the only ones that actually make good chipset coolers.

plus the place where i am buying them from really only stocks those good ones!!
there are pleanty of passive heatsinks but i already have one and its not doing its job so thast why i am buyng a heatsink with a fan!!

and answer me this. Why would i go out and spend $300 on a water cooling kit only for a north brige chipset when i can get one cooled for a maximum of $30????
its not like my CPU is burning up or anything i run 36 degress celcius under no load and about 50 under full load

and there is no problems with the flow of air through my case. i have 1 80mm intake fan blowing right across the hard drives a 120mm exhaust fan a seperate duct from outside for the CPU fan which is an 80mm fan and the whole front of the case is covered in mesh?? how much more air can you get going through there without it sounding like a jet engine???

what is the problem with that?? seems like a waste of money to go out and buy water cooling when its not really needed. doesnt it??

troppo

Mitesh

Mitesh

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
yes i did say IF you need it read carefully b4 draggin on about costs.