Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Registry Entries Locked

• Please log in to reply

CraigW

CraigW

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have a PC running Windows XP. It started off as the original XP Professional, but has had SP2 and most recent patches applied. Recently I found I could not install Acrobat Reader 7, receiving the message that I have insufficient privileges to perform the install. My user ID is in the Local Administrator group and the same message appears if I log on as Administrator and perform the install. More recently I could not install Download Accelerator, with the same symptoms. I looked in Regedit and found the entry for Speedbit, but could not delete it or edit it. Regedit says it is owned by the Administrator group but.

Also, there are now 6 Windows Updates queued for install, but every time I try to install them they fail to install. (This happend also each time I shut down the machine.)

It looks like something has locked up a whole lot of entries in the registry. Is ther any way I can unlock these, or will I need to reinstall Windows?

Craig. :whistling:

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
The easiest way to do this is to use the following (it can also be done manually, but see if this automated tool works first)

http://wiki.djlizard...air_Permissions

CraigW

CraigW

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Attached File  logs.zip   226KB   147 downloadsI tried both options described at the site. First I ran Dial a Fix from a normal login and it ran through its paces, but the problems remain. A side effect was that only my own user ID appers to be available.

Then I ran the !RUNME.bat (from Repair Permissions.zip), from the command prompt in Safe mode. It ran through, giving errors at each stage and the problem still persists.

When I run Regedit, the keys are generally locked so that I cannot even open them.

Can you suggest what I should try next? Would the security logs be of any assistance? I've included them just in case.

Also, how can I restore the other logons? (When I try to add them back in I am told they already exist, so it looks like they are just hidden.)

Regards,
Craig.

Edited by CraigW, 22 June 2006 - 06:31 AM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
is this xp home or pro?

CraigW

CraigW

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
It is Windows XP Pro.

CraigW

CraigW

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Not to worry, I ended up rebuilding the machine onto a new hard disk, just keeping the old one there to copy files from.

Craig.