Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Laptop is on, but screen is black

• Please log in to reply

sbrownx

sbrownx

• Pip
  • 3 posts
This morning I powered my laptop on, but the screen remained black. I shut down my laptop before I went to bed and everything was working properly, but last night we had some rough thunderstorms and now this. I don't know if the bad weather is to blaim, but what else would explain it. No matter what I try the screen stays black. Everything else is working fine (audio, powersupply, etc.). I even had the power supply plugged into a surge protector as usual. Please help!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
so you don't see any of the normal boot stuff at all? or does it go blank after the normal bios screens?

sbrownx

sbrownx

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
The screen is always black and I never see the initial setup.......it even starts up Windows because I can hear the beginning music/sound effect. This is very strange because everything was working perfectly last night.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
it's possible that the storm screwed up the monitor...or the video card (though...the video card itself being destroyed would cause more errors or beeps...in theory) or any other parts of the display on a laptop (there's more than one...monitor, backlight, inverter)..i'm gonna take a stab in the dark here (no pun intended...well maybe a little) and assume the laptop isn't under warranty?

sbrownx

sbrownx

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yes, I believe it is still under warranty, but I have to double check. That's what I get for buying a $4,000 Laptop. :whistling: