Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Can't Network and Internetwork at the Same Time

• Please log in to reply

milesor

milesor

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm connected to the internet via wireless modem. I am also connected to another router, as is my old Windows98 PC; thus the two machines are networked and I can pass files back and forth.

The problem is that I don't seem to be able to do enable both simultaneously: in order to reach the internet, I have to disable the "Local Area Connection" in the Network Connections window; in order to communicate over my "LAN" via the router, I naturally have to have this enabled. Surely it ought to be possible to do both at the same time?

(In fact, oughtn't I be able to reach the internet from my old win98 PC over the router and through wireless card in my other PC?)

Thanks for any insight.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
having a hard time following you for some reason

Please decribe your network in more detail...how many devices (router/switches/pcs/cable modems)? With makes and models...

How many PCs? What operating systems. How was this set up....who set it up? For example, did you have one PC on the network and add another?

There is no reason you cannot do both at the same time, other than you have an odd setup...

milesor

milesor

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Sorry for being unclear; it's actually more straightforward than I make it sound. I have two PCs (let's call them "laptop" and "OldPC"). laptop accesses the internet through a wireless router (belonging to my neighbour, and thus out of my control - long story). OldPC is connected to laptop through a Linksys WRT54G router (in fact it's wireless too, but OldPC doesn't have a wireless card, so I connect both to it with cables).

[OldPC] ----- [router] ----- [laptop] ~ ~ ~ [wifi router] ----- internet

OldPC runs Win98; laptop runs XP.

The problem is that this "network" only works when I go to the Network Connections window in laptop, find Local Area Network under the Lan or High-Speed Internet section, and enable it. At which point laptop no longer has internet access.

I guess it is an odd set-up; but necessary at the moment.

I look forward to any suggestions.

Edited by milesor, 26 June 2006 - 08:45 AM.