Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Bad Computer problem

• Please log in to reply

rcat

rcat

• Pip
  • 2 posts
In the past 2 or 3 weeks my computer has been randomly freezing or getting the message, No Signal...I then have to restart my computer all the way.
This happens A LOT. I can barely stand using the computer anymore. It happens when i play games, browsing the internet, and sometimes even when the computer isnt being used it freezes. Anyone have a clue whats wrong?
Also, i can move the mouse around when it freezes but nothing else works and when it says No Signal nothing works. Im not that good with computers so i would need specific instructions if anyone has an idea

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
no signal is your monitor telling you that it is not receiving a signal from your videocard

off hand, I would say you have a failing power supply. Do you have a second computer you could pull a power supply from to test

rcat

rcat

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Yes i have 3 computers, this one and the same exact type and another computer that doesnt work atm. Im not sure how to mess with that stuff though but i will mention it to my brother. Do you think the failing power supply has to do with the computer freezing as well as no signals?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
it is a good possibility

Removing a power supply is very simple....4 screws hold it in the case, and the power supply is connected to the motherboard by a 20 or 24 pin plastic connected that is probably latched. Depressed the latch and pull. It may also be connected by a second 4-pin connector with a latch.

Each harddrive and cd-rom is connected by a 4 pin plastic connector which is simply pulled out--a floppy drive is connected by a smaller 4-pin connector which needs to be lifted slightly to remove as it latches on the bottom

Sometimes, a similar connector is hooked up to the videocard

Other than the four screws, it is all hands only

Make sure to touch a part of the metal case before touching anything inside the case to avoid static shock damage to componants

A power supply should take more than 5 minutes to swap out.