Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Replacing laptop hard disk drive

• Please log in to reply

MNOB07

MNOB07

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
Compaq Presario 2500

harddrive is a 30gb 2.5" Hitachi Travelstar

unfortunately the hard drive had failed, and the laptop is out of warranty. I need to replace the harddrive would any 2.5" notebook drive be ok? And if anyone knows of any good deals that would be great, best I see is ~ $60 shipped for a western digital that has some reviews regarding defective units...

Even 20gb is adequate for this notebook's use.

Edited by MNOB07, 21 June 2006 - 12:13 PM.

Advertisements

RichP

RichP

• PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
$60 is cheap for a laptop hard drive. they're more expensive then desktop ones. Any standard drive will be OK. For a bit more info look here

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
The 20 gig laptop drives on newegg were $54. For only $5 more you can have a Fujitsu 40 gig 5400 rpm drive. I won't buy used laptop drives. I've had too many fail quickly. I've also bought from some internet companys that either would not honor warrantees or just disappeared within a year leaving me holding bad drives. I now buy only from reputable companys like newegg.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822153023

SRX660