Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Limited or no connectivity

• Please log in to reply

Jaxonian

Jaxonian

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello everyone, my name is Jackson I am new on this site, I just got my IBM R40 back from IBM and when i put my netgear card in my laptop I always get "Status: Limited or no connectivity" which means my computer doesn't have a network address..so how do I get it a network address?

thanks guys!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
could you describe the problem a little more?
describe your network/internet connection
is this a wireless card?

the more info you give us...the better off you'll be

Jaxonian

Jaxonian

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
yeah im using a netgear wireless card

basically what happenes is that im acquring access and then i always get limited or no connectivity

this whole problem is because my home network is encrypted..is there a way to un-encrypte a network or change the access key

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
did you install the drivers for the wireless card when y ou got the thing back?

right click on my computer > manage > device manager > see any yellow ? or ! when the card is plugged in?

Jaxonian

Jaxonian

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
i thought everything was installed i guess not i don't see a netgear card

but when i put the card in a wireless connection thing (those little computers on the bottom right) shows up.

Edited by Jaxonian, 21 June 2006 - 02:12 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it's possible that it got uninstalled when you sent it to ibm for repairs try reinstalling the card with the netgear disk and see if it makes a difference

Jaxonian

Jaxonian

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
i tried that before it didn't work..is there a way to make a network UN-ENCRYPTED?

rivekm

rivekm

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
sure is a way to make it unencrypted, but not wise. If I were you I would just reset the router to its original settings and just create a new wireless connection and be certain you write down your password. This is the best bet and dont take long

MeowMeow

MeowMeow

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
with it saying no or limited connectivity it means that your modem/ router is not giving you an IP address. It is usually the modem/routers' fault if you dun receive an IP address. try resetting the router or firmware upgrade.

the encryption has nothing to do with this part coz even though you have encryption, the router should still give you an IP address. jus that you will not be able to get connected to the internet if you dun have the encryption key

Edited by MeowMeow, 22 June 2006 - 10:36 AM.